piston hit the spart plug????

hey guys i'm looking at an 97sltx with engine problems. the owner says it lost power and when he took it to the dealer the dealer told him the #1 piston had hit the spark plug which meant the crank was bad and he would need a new crank and a piston. could the rod jounals wear so much there would be that much play to allow such a thing? any thoughts? also if i do decide to buy it who would you recommend to do a rebuild? i've seen 850-11oo for a rebuild by internet adveritisers but am hesitant to trust. would like input from you forum members.

thanks.

Find out the compression for each cylinder ,,maybe hole in the piston

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The rods run on roller bearings,not like a autos,so if a bearing comes apart,it could allow enough gap to reach a piston. Some of the guys have use a few rebuilders that have done a good job reasonably priced.

piston hitting spark plug

sorry, forgot to include that very important peice of info the compression is low in that cylinder.

Pull the spark plug out and pun a screw drive inside, if it drops down then hole in piston, sounds to me like that is the case ,, also you can take flash light and look for hole in piston, I have 3 of these and 2 of them currently have holes in them,,

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pslt780 View Post
    sorry, forgot to include that very important peice of info the compression is low in that cylinder.
    ok if comp. is low chances are you broke the skirt off the bottom of the piston and it bounced around at hit(closed) the gap on the spark plug...
    if you have "0" comp. chances are you leaned out that cyl and you will have a hole in the top ,that the above mentioned screwdriver will go right thru
    pull the heads ,take some pics -the guys here can do magic with good pics to go by
    mattman

Question

If the crank bearing went bad then more than likely would have broke the rod,

+1
    Take out plug ,put end of screw driver against piston .That will tell you if you have a hole .You can also sit screwdriver against piston and slowly rock crankshaft back and forth .The piston should move with the crank rotation ,If there is delay then the conrod bearings are shot ,Take off the head and you will see any damage

Bernie

+1
    a piston cannot physically "hit" the plug. No matter how loose the rod bearing, or whatever. the squish band of the dome wont allow the piston to travel up that far.

a chunk of piston might have hit the plug, or a chunk of rod bearing, or even a chunk of main bearing. but it's not the piston...

Whatever it is, it sounds like it's time for a rebuild.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

agree

gotta agree with wetwolf.piston top can't contact plug,something got in between them

Thread Information