Ok for full throttle?

First off, I'm new to the forum, but not to riding. Just sold my 99 GTX RFI that I bought new in 2000. It left me with 445hrs and felt/looked like new - the high hour count was making me nervous of a major repair in the future. I bought an unsold '08 RXT last week.

The quesiton I have...is it ok to go full throttle after the break in period, but before the 10hr service? I'll be hitting the 10hr mark this week and would like to enjoy the speed over the weekend, but would be willing to wait a few more days if that is a better idea. I searched, but could find any specifics on this.

I learned more reading this site recently than other sites over the the years. Keep up the good info.

Thanks.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk..

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Murrayrider View Post
    First off, I'm new to the forum, but not to riding. Just sold my 99 GTX RFI that I bought new in 2000. It left me with 445hrs and felt/looked like new - the high hour count was making me nervous of a major repair in the future. I bought an unsold '08 RXT last week.

The quesiton I have...is it ok to go full throttle after the break in period, but before the 10hr service? I'll be hitting the 10hr mark this week and would like to enjoy the speed over the weekend, but would be willing to wait a few more days if that is a better idea. I searched, but could find any specifics on this.

I learned more reading this site recently than other sites over the the years. Keep up the good info.

Thanks.
    Welcome!! We have a little different view on break in around here..Ride it gently for the first couple hours than ride it like you stole it!!

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Yes you are more than due. Most here like to hit some full rpm bleeps within the first hour. I personally like to hit one, one second full rpm run the first hour, two, two second full rpm runs the second hour and three, three second full rpm runs during the third hour. After that I like to check the compression and if it is good then I don't do anything special but be mindful of long high rpm runs and try to keep them under 30 seconds till the ten hour mark. The key, I think is a lot of heat cycles during the first two hours of motor break in. I usually ride for only 10 minutes at a time for the first hour and give the engine 10 minute breaks between runs. Since you are almost at 10 hours you motor is as broke in as it will ever be and I think you need to ride it as hard as possible as soon as possible.

+1
    You have done all you can 4 break in. The 10 hour break in is for the motor, but it is all about the warranty. When you get the 10 hour check ask to see the laptop they hook up. It is pretty cool to see the graph that is in memory in the ECU. Mine readed something like this at 10 hour service.

0 to 2000 30%
    2000 to 4000 30%
    4000 to 6000 20%
    6000 to 8000 10%
    8000 to 8250 10%
    8250 to 8500 0%

It is all in memory for warranty. The ECU show if you have had the 10 hour service and a code for the dealer that performed the work.

I guess I was thinking more about them changing the oil, doing adjustments (which they probably don't do), etc. Didn't want contaminated oil at full throttle to cause issues down the road. I followed the 10hr break in recommendations on my old '99 and got 445hrs trouble free hours out of her. Just want to start this one out the right way.

Off topic...A friend has a RIVA intake grate from his now sold 215 wake that he will sell me for $40. Worth getting and installing? Their seems to be some mixed reviews on this product.

Thanks for the info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by f150vtx View Post
    You have done all you can 4 break in. The 10 hour break in is for the motor, but it is all about the warranty. When you get the 10 hour check ask to see the laptop they hook up. It is pretty cool to see the graph that is in memory in the ECU. Mine readed something like this at 10 hour service.

0 to 2000 30%
    2000 to 4000 30%
    4000 to 6000 20%
    6000 to 8000 10%
    8000 to 8250 10%
    8250 to 8500 0%

It is all in memory for warranty. The ECU show if you have had the 10 hour service and a code for the dealer that performed the work.
    Is this only for the first 10 hours or does it keep recording this for ever? I like most of the others on here belive the motor should have some WOT blips and such for a good breakin but for the silly warranty reason I went by the book until 10 hours. After that I will beat on it.

+1
    if oyu dont get 10 hr check till after the weekend, dont worry. i would look around the engine compartment for loose clamps, or signs of water leakage.
    other wise , ride it any way you desire, perhaps not WOT like a maniac all weekend, be a bit mindful, but dont hesitate to pull the trigger.
    always be mindful of WOT while in heavy chop, worst thing you can do it bang the revlimiter continuously while unhooking rehooking, thats where al lteh wwear and stress comes in on these SC units.
    if you got 445 hrs on your previous ski, you know al lthe basics, dont start in shallow water, dont injest water, dont unhook hard on the throttle, wear some SPF

Thread Information