Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Guy On the Block

Hey everybody I am new here, but have been riding jet skis for about 3 years now. I own a Yamaha gp1300r, and I am looking to buy another jet ski so that ill have one for guests. I want something faster than the gp1300r so I was looking at the Sea-doo RXPX. Having owned Yamaha this whole time I am pretty confident in them. I even sank my gp800 a few years back and poped the spark plugs off and cranked it a few times and within 30 minutes it was running. I am hesitant to Sea-dooís reliability being that I will be using these skis in SALT water. Then after finding out you have to use premium in the RXPX that shot down all my desire for it. Now I am thinking about getting a used RXP and putting a stage III on it for still a little less than the new RXPX. First and foremost will that ski be reliable in salt water? I donít want a ski thatís fast as hell but is breaking down every two seconds. Also would its hole shot beat a RXPx? I know its top end will burn the RXPX.

PS: I hate 3 seaters I need something to take in the waves. =P

Welcome to GH...

any seadoo with a SCer will need premium, not just the X skis. Im confused if you are ok with using premium or not...because u said using the premium shot down your chances of getting an X but then you say you might buy an RXP and throw a S3 on it...

first off welcome to greenhulk

it really depends what you are looking for in a ski.....Its hard to beat a RXPX for the holeshot. if your looking for acceleration i would go that way. as far as reliability, as long as you switch to the riva style washers in the SC and get rid of the stock washers you should have no problems. if your riding salt water then the closed loop cooling is nice as you are no longer running salt water through the motor to cool it down. if your looking for a top end ski i would recommend a regular RXP and do with it as you like as far as mods....the regular RXP is more condusive to top end (bout 80-85 w/o overstuff) as the pump tunnel is smaller and dosent allow stuffing (as easy) when too much water is forced in. many have found the RXPX stuffs a bit easier over 75mph. i guess the last thing would be, new RXPX with a warranty or used RXP without 1 or if it does have 1 you will void it anyway with a stage 3 kit as the ECU must be activated with a vin # (though you may find ways around this) ......just my thoughts.... oh and btw (i believe) that the GP should be using premium as well.....its also a high output motor.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to Greenhulk.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffTurbo601 View Post

it really depends what you are looking for in a ski.....Its hard to beat a RXPX for the holeshot. if your looking for acceleration i would go that way. as far as reliability, as long as you switch to the riva style washers in the SC and get rid of the stock washers you should have no problems. if your riding salt water then the closed loop cooling is nice as you are no longer running salt water through the motor to cool it down. if your looking for a top end ski i would recommend a regular RXP and do with it as you like as far as mods....the regular RXP is more condusive to top end (bout 80-85 w/o overstuff) as the pump tunnel is smaller and dosent allow stuffing (as easy) when too much water is forced in. many have found the RXPX stuffs a bit easier over 75mph. i guess the last thing would be, new RXPX with a warranty or used RXP without 1 or if it does have 1 you will void it anyway with a stage 3 kit as the ECU must be activated with a vin # (though you may find ways around this) ......just my thoughts.... oh and btw i believe that the GP should be using premium as well.....its also a high output motor.
    Stock GPR doesn't run premium

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    Stock GPR doesn't run premium
    wasnt sure....i run prem in everything....lol

Welcome aboard!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffTurbo601 View Post

it really depends what you are looking for in a ski.....Its hard to beat a RXPX for the holeshot. if your looking for acceleration i would go that way. as far as reliability, as long as you switch to the riva style washers in the SC and get rid of the stock washers you should have no problems. if your riding salt water then the closed loop cooling is nice as you are no longer running salt water through the motor to cool it down. if your looking for a top end ski i would recommend a regular RXP and do with it as you like as far as mods....the regular RXP is more condusive to top end (bout 80-85 w/o overstuff) as the pump tunnel is smaller and dosent allow stuffing (as easy) when too much water is forced in. many have found the RXPX stuffs a bit easier over 75mph. i guess the last thing would be, new RXPX with a warranty or used RXP without 1 or if it does have 1 you will void it anyway with a stage 3 kit as the ECU must be activated with a vin # (though you may find ways around this) ......just my thoughts.... oh and btw i believe that the GP should be using premium as well.....its also a high output motor.
    not entirely true, my friend has an FX Sho and a GPR-SHO conversion and he runs 87 octane in both of them. The conversion hits 80 consistently.
    Welcome to the forum! Lots of great people and advice to be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    any seadoo with a SCer will need premium, not just the X skis. Im confused if you are ok with using premium or not...because u said using the premium shot down your chances of getting an X but then you say you might buy an RXP and throw a S3 on it...

i did not realize the rxp used premium as well i thought i read some where you can use regular in it. i don't mind using premium its just that it will be hard to find seeing as i typical refill at a small marina with the skis in the water. i guess i should just look at another gp1300r or see if the marina has premium. thanks for all the quick responses guys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information