Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    3,594
    +1
    128

    Camchain tensioner travel?

    I reinstalled my head, have cam and crank locked, installed cam sprocket and chain, 1503 marks line up nicely, go to install the tensioner and it goes in with minor effort (no tools), but I notice the manual says to verify tensioner piston travels freely ... OK, well when I push on the piston in the tensioner it only moves a mm or so ... How much 'travel' should there be in the tensioner itself? Mine rotates, I can tell there is a spring in there, but I sure can't push the piston in very far ... just wanted to make sure my tensioner is not stuck before I reinstall it.

    I am working on it right now, would love a quick response ... anybody?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    euxton nr chorley lancashire, england
    Posts
    1,500
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I reinstalled my head, have cam and crank locked, installed cam sprocket and chain, 1503 marks line up nicely, go to install the tensioner and it goes in with minor effort (no tools), but I notice the manual says to verify tensioner piston travels freely ... OK, well when I push on the piston in the tensioner it only moves a mm or so ... How much 'travel' should there be in the tensioner itself? Mine rotates, I can tell there is a spring in there, but I sure can't push the piston in very far ... just wanted to make sure my tensioner is not stuck before I reinstall it.

    I am working on it right now, would love a quick response ... anybody?
    that sounds alright to me, youve forgot to mention that the mm travel was before you screwed the tensioner in, when you get rid of the threads it will be tight enough

  3. #3
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    3,594
    +1
    128
    Thanks Bill, got that one straight, once I trial-installed it, it now travels freely like I thought it should. It must have gotten a little sticky while I had it out for a couple months, it works great now.

    Couple other questions tho ... first head re-install ... I used cam and crank locking tools, 1503 marks line up great, so I think I am fine, but just want to make sure. The 'front' (3rd) cylinder piston is at TDC, and also the cam lobe peaks on that cylinder are facing straight up, is that correct? Also the reluctor (pin) on the camshaft sprocket is very close (looks just past) the cam sensor button ... does that sound correct too? With new valves and stuff I just want to verify I am not 180 degrees off or anything while reassembling.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    euxton nr chorley lancashire, england
    Posts
    1,500
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Thanks Bill, got that one straight, once I trial-installed it, it now travels freely like I thought it should. It must have gotten a little sticky while I had it out for a couple months, it works great now.

    Couple other questions tho ... first head re-install ... I used cam and crank locking tools, 1503 marks line up great, so I think I am fine, but just want to make sure. The 'front' (3rd) cylinder piston is at TDC, and also the cam lobe peaks on that cylinder are facing straight up, is that correct? Also the reluctor (pin) on the camshaft sprocket is very close (looks just past) the cam sensor button ... does that sound correct too? With new valves and stuff I just want to verify I am not 180 degrees off or anything while reassembling.
    that is all correct, the cam loabs on number 3 should be facing upwards, number 3 piston at top dead centre, camwheel pin just after cam sensor position, which means its just fired on that cylinder, yes all is ok with your valve timing

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    euxton nr chorley lancashire, england
    Posts
    1,500
    +1
    1
    [quote=Vern;1058976]Thanks Bill, got that one straight, once I trial-installed it, it now travels freely like I thought it should. It must have gotten a little sticky while I had it out for a couple months, it works great now.

    that chain tensioner is oil adjusted by pressure, when its been out and lying about it lengthens itself till you reinstall it then it resets its self when the oil is dispersed out of that piston, regards bill

  6. #6
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    3,594
    +1
    128
    Fantastic, thanks Bill! I am going back out to proceed on with the rest of the re-install ... I appreciate the help and input!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    euxton nr chorley lancashire, england
    Posts
    1,500
    +1
    1
    cheers no probs, i'm going to bed its 1.59am here

  8. #8
    Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    2,677
    +1
    4
    Vern... sorry I didn't see this sooner, but it sounds like you got it OK and Bill helped out nicely. Here is a quick pic of the cam in the correct position and what the cam gear should look like:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00831.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	544.7 KB 
ID:	131545  

  9. #9
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    3,594
    +1
    128

    Cam timing?

    Thanks Jeff!

    Since I am timing the cam now, I still would like to hear results from running it fully advanced, 'straight up', or fully retarded ... anyone want to post their experience?

  10. #10
    jpeconsult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pineville, LA
    Posts
    5,448
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Thanks Jeff!

    Since I am timing the cam now, I still would like to hear results from running it fully advanced, 'straight up', or fully retarded ... anyone want to post their experience?
    Vern, I'm not sure if you saw this or not. It is a recent thread on page 2, I think it was. --Jeremy

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92676

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rotax Racing Camchain Tensioner ?
    By lars k in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
  3. WTB Camchain tensioner wanted
    By Vern in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 10:42 AM
  4. RR Camchain tensioner, R & D Pump Cone FS
    By 74mjh in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
  5. RXP VTS travel?
    By Yuji in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 01:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •