+1

Camchain tensioner travel?

I reinstalled my head, have cam and crank locked, installed cam sprocket and chain, 1503 marks line up nicely, go to install the tensioner and it goes in with minor effort (no tools), but I notice the manual says to verify tensioner piston travels freely ... OK, well when I push on the piston in the tensioner it only moves a mm or so ... How much 'travel' should there be in the tensioner itself? Mine rotates, I can tell there is a spring in there, but I sure can't push the piston in very far ... just wanted to make sure my tensioner is not stuck before I reinstall it.

I am working on it right now, would love a quick response ... anybody?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I reinstalled my head, have cam and crank locked, installed cam sprocket and chain, 1503 marks line up nicely, go to install the tensioner and it goes in with minor effort (no tools), but I notice the manual says to verify tensioner piston travels freely ... OK, well when I push on the piston in the tensioner it only moves a mm or so ... How much 'travel' should there be in the tensioner itself? Mine rotates, I can tell there is a spring in there, but I sure can't push the piston in very far ... just wanted to make sure my tensioner is not stuck before I reinstall it.

I am working on it right now, would love a quick response ... anybody?
    that sounds alright to me, youve forgot to mention that the mm travel was before you screwed the tensioner in, when you get rid of the threads it will be tight enough

+1
    Thanks Bill, got that one straight, once I trial-installed it, it now travels freely like I thought it should. It must have gotten a little sticky while I had it out for a couple months, it works great now.

Couple other questions tho ... first head re-install ... I used cam and crank locking tools, 1503 marks line up great, so I think I am fine, but just want to make sure. The 'front' (3rd) cylinder piston is at TDC, and also the cam lobe peaks on that cylinder are facing straight up, is that correct? Also the reluctor (pin) on the camshaft sprocket is very close (looks just past) the cam sensor button ... does that sound correct too? With new valves and stuff I just want to verify I am not 180 degrees off or anything while reassembling.

+1
    Thanks Bill, got that one straight, once I trial-installed it, it now travels freely like I thought it should. It must have gotten a little sticky while I had it out for a couple months, it works great now.

Couple other questions tho ... first head re-install ... I used cam and crank locking tools, 1503 marks line up great, so I think I am fine, but just want to make sure. The 'front' (3rd) cylinder piston is at TDC, and also the cam lobe peaks on that cylinder are facing straight up, is that correct? Also the reluctor (pin) on the camshaft sprocket is very close (looks just past) the cam sensor button ... does that sound correct too? With new valves and stuff I just want to verify I am not 180 degrees off or anything while reassembling.
    that is all correct, the cam loabs on number 3 should be facing upwards, number 3 piston at top dead centre, camwheel pin just after cam sensor position, which means its just fired on that cylinder, yes all is ok with your valve timing

+1
    [quote=Vern;1058976]Thanks Bill, got that one straight, once I trial-installed it, it now travels freely like I thought it should. It must have gotten a little sticky while I had it out for a couple months, it works great now.

that chain tensioner is oil adjusted by pressure, when its been out and lying about it lengthens itself till you reinstall it then it resets its self when the oil is dispersed out of that piston, regards bill

+1
    Fantastic, thanks Bill! I am going back out to proceed on with the rest of the re-install ... I appreciate the help and input!

+1
    cheers no probs, i'm going to bed its 1.59am here

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Vern... sorry I didn't see this sooner, but it sounds like you got it OK and Bill helped out nicely. Here is a quick pic of the cam in the correct position and what the cam gear should look like:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00831.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	544.7 KB 
ID:	131545  

+1

Cam timing?

Thanks Jeff!

Since I am timing the cam now, I still would like to hear results from running it fully advanced, 'straight up', or fully retarded ... anyone want to post their experience?

+1
    Thanks Jeff!

Since I am timing the cam now, I still would like to hear results from running it fully advanced, 'straight up', or fully retarded ... anyone want to post their experience?
    Vern, I'm not sure if you saw this or not. It is a recent thread on page 2, I think it was. --Jeremy

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92676

Thread Information