Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st pwc questions

Hi, I have a 96 sl700. Yesterday was the first time I ever used a pwc. I had trouble maneuvering it but it was a blast!! At low speeds I tried to turn around and flipped it over. IS this ski not stable?? Is there any tips or advise that I can use to stay on it. After that I was scared to turn at high speeds. Should I be worried??

In what position shoould the trim be?? the middle??

Also, at idle and before I get on plan it sort of sounds like the engine is missing. But once on a plane and I am off it sounds great. Is this how it runs?? It sort of putters a idle but I think this is how it supposed to be???

Everything else is great. I am really glad I purchased this PWC it is soo much fun. My girlfriend and I were fighting over who's turn it is.

Thank you all so much!!

guess its about balancing yourself with the ski. Or also one can be too big for the ski too. sputtering can be something very serious and can give you and your friend a very very short burst of fun for the beginning of the summer. if there is no maintenance records of the boat i would definitely have the carburetors taken out and have them rebuilt with the fuel pump too. the whole fuel system must be checked very cautiously.

Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    Hi, I have a 96 sl700. Yesterday was the first time I ever used a pwc. I had trouble maneuvering it but it was a blast!! At low speeds I tried to turn around and flipped it over. IS this ski not stable?? Is there any tips or advise that I can use to stay on it. After that I was scared to turn at high speeds. Should I be worried??

Also, at idle and before I get on plan it sort of sounds like the engine is missing. But once on a plane and I am off it sounds great. Is this how it runs?? It sort of putters a idle but I think this is how it supposed to be???

Everything else is great. I am really glad I purchased this PWC it is soo much fun. My girlfriend and I were fighting over who's turn it is.

Thank you all so much!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The SL is quite stable, unless you're riding 2 people. Then they get a little squirrelly at low speed.

Once you're at speed, they will hold the water quite well. Add sponsons to it and the handling will get better.

They also get a bit tipsy if there's alot of water inside the hull. There wasn't any was there?

Trim is usually best left in the middle. Once you get used to your ski, you can start to play with it.

UP will bring the nose up for more speed at WOT, but will make it porpoise in rough water.

Down will plant the nose for a better take off and rougher water riding.

I can't comment on the engine missing sound. I don't have one of those engines in your ski. Sorry.

Glad you and the GF had fun.

Please familiarize yourself with the ski and laws. Things can turn bad real fast so be prepared.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for the Polaris Service Manuals, and other useful info.

The SL is a fun riding hull, but you need to understand its limitations, and how it works.

Unlike a land vehicle, you cannot walk back on water if your machine fails. Stranding on the water is to be taken seriously, and avoided.

You must take the time to understand what your thirteen year old Polaris needs to become reliable, and make sure that it gets the attention to make it reliable, and keep it reliable.

Never go riding unless you are sure the machine is working as it should. When testing, ride with another boat or PWC that can tow you back if needed.

There is a huge amount of information and support on these forums. You will find support as you learn how to check and fix your PWC, and how to ride it safely.

+1
    Welcome PWC fun sebas54,
    I have 2 96 SL700. At low speed and turning without any throttle,it will tip over,most PWC will.Once you get used to it,you'll use a little more throttle and never notice it again till you take a rooky for a ride,then they will tip you over at low speed.
    If you do not have sponsons,turning at middle speeds,could cause you to fishtail or spin out (lots of fun)

My 96 also ran a bit weird when I first got it,looking at the service manual/comparing the jetting to other 38 or 40mm Keihin carbs ,the 96 was a bit goffy.I planned to change to 40mm carbs -so I didn't really try anything with the stock carbs.I have another 96 with a later model exhaust/stock carbs,I'll be testing that pretty soon.

Read through the service manual before you attempt any carb modifications,and make sure you really understand how it works.The Tech section has really good articals about tuning carbs. Do all the normal preventive maintenance work first.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The following Service Bulletins are listed for the 1996 SL 700;

PWC-96-04 All 1996 PWC - Loose Handgrips
    PWC-96-07 All 1992-1995 Models; All 1996 700,780, & Hurricane Models - Fuel Valve Restriction May
    Cause Lean Condition
    PWC-96-10 All 1996 Model Watercraft (Except Hurricane) - Leaks At Bilge Plug
    PWC-96-11 1996 SL700; SLT700; Hurricane; SL900; - Oil Pump a-Ring Leakage
    PWC-96-12 1996 SL700; SLT700; Hurricane; SL900; SLTX; - Loose Or Broken Cylinder Head Bolts
    PWC-97-05 All 1995-1996 Watercraft Fuel Inlet and Cap Replacement

No mention of a jetting change, but the 1997 SL 700 Keihin 38mm does list slightly different jets and screw turns than the 1996

The CDI timing and cylinder porting was the same for both years, I think. Changed for 1998-1999...

Thank you all for the great information!!!

When I took the jet ski out I had my GF follow me in a boat just in case. I have done all the regular maintness stuff like fuel filters, oil filter, new gas, new plugs, new oil, greased everything, gave it a good wash and wax, and I had to replace the terminal board. I tested the bilge, trim, gas gauge, and the overheat alarm.

I will try and take a video of the engine running to show you guys what it sounds like. There may not be anything wrong with it and I may just be overly sensitive to noises from the engine (I have been known to think something is wrong when it's not).

Thanks again!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post

Thank you all so much!!
    I think just a little more time and experience will fix most of your "uneasy" problems. You will love it.

+1
    sebas,

How big are you? I'm a good 230 and my 750 feels like its missing on the hole shot as well. That is just hte engine pushing water as hard as it can.

Sounds totally different when my neighbor who is 150 rides it.

the 700 is not a huge engine, but its usually big enough for a good weekend. Its not a race machine

Seaobin I hope that thats it. I weigh 200 pounds and had a full tank of gas. I pulled something in my back so i wasn't able to get the video but I will soon.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information