Setback on the rebuild...

I went to get the sea doo back together tonight. I don't have the correct ring compressor, so went about it just holding the rings. I got it once. Had to take the jug back off. Went at it the second time, snapped a ring. I don't have spare rings. I was planning to get to the lake this weekend. That won't happen now. It's off the stock piston, so I have to find stock rings. Dealer wanted $60 for a set of rings, that they would have to order. I can get the oversized for $25 online, but I don't need oversize. The forward cyclinder is still perfect, with only 60 something hours, the hone is still visible on the cylinder. Anyway, just ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by Krohbar View Post
    I went to get the sea doo back together tonight. I don't have the correct ring compressor, so went about it just holding the rings. I got it once. Had to take the jug back off. Went at it the second time, snapped a ring. I don't have spare rings. I was planning to get to the lake this weekend. That won't happen now. It's off the stock piston, so I have to find stock rings. Dealer wanted $60 for a set of rings, that they would have to order. I can get the oversized for $25 online, but I don't need oversize. The forward cyclinder is still perfect, with only 60 something hours, the hone is still visible on the cylinder. Anyway, just ranting.
    you might be able to file the over size ring to fit your cylinder

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I've replaced pistons dozens of times and never used a ring comprssor, or snapped a ring. The key word here is patience. The rings will easily compresss if aligned properly on it's pin, and slide into the bore. As the pins are in different locations, you have to squeeze one at a time.

If you get frustrated, quit or get help holding the cylinder while you squeeze the ring.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    I've replaced pistons dozens of times and never used a ring comprssor, or snapped a ring. The key word here is patience. The rings will easily compresss if aligned properly on it's pin, and slide into the bore. As the pins are in different locations, you have to squeeze one at a time.

If you get frustrated, quit or get help holding the cylinder while you squeeze the ring.
    What he said - don't Krohbar it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    What he said - don't Krohbar it!

Funny... REAL f'ing funny... Seriously... I was being patient. I have no idea how I managed to do it. It went on easy the first time, was over the first ring the second time, but for some reason... oh well, maybe it was good it snapped without the motor running...

new rings came yesterday, I'll be back after it tonight. Then to get the trailer finished so I can actually get it to the water...

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Good luck!

Pistons and cylinders are back on! Hit the start button, all looks good so far, sounds real good. Should be wet this weekend, finally! And just think, I brought it home on a flat bed trailer full of snow...

Thread Information