Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

well...looks like there is a leak

Well, After my last post on the forum about the popping sound then a large loss of power, I pulled the plugs tonight and behold the tops and a silverish gook on them. Did a compression test, Its at 100psi all three cyl. Last week it was 118 all 3. Motor has 6 hrs on it. This would be the 3rd motor in a year. This jet ski has been the worst most costly item I have ever owned..Think it may just be a gasket? I want to fix it cheap so I can sell it and Buy a honda or something more reliable....

+1
    Sorry to hear.What year ?

its a 1999 xlt 1200 ltd.....is 100 still to low? It was just rebuilt this spring and was running fine until I had cavitation issues, Then this came up...I try to start it with plug out and no water comes out...so there cant be much in there???

+1
    What brand guage are you using and are you holding the throttle wide open when testing?

not sure about the brand and no i am just turning the motor over when i run the test...no throttle??

I was working on installing my ppk kit and intake grate and i had to remove the waterbox because i couldnt get on the tops of the bolts in the back with it in there and water came out of the waterbox and probably back into the exhaust....could that have done anything?

I am also wondering if the battery might be low as all 3 cyl were around 120 a week before and after sitting they are all an even 100??

still doesn't explain the white stuff on the spark plug......fyi the plug was not covered in it...just a small amount

+1
    A fully charged battery and holding the throttle open will always give you higher compression readings.

+1
    ^^^ Exactly. And the fact that all three cylinders read the same, albeit "low", compression tells me it's more a matter of battery charge and/or crappy gauge than anything else.

Back to your original problem, you'll need to dig into the engine to find the leak. Sounds like something simple - it's just a matter of finding it.

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    you need to have the throttle open so that you can get enough air into the cylinders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information