timing on 98 slh 700

ok replaced all the electronics got stator bolted on now how do i set the timing????

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the stator was installed correctly on your domestic engine, then the timing should be 'close'.

Use a timing light, per the service manual, to check the timing.

If it needs adjusting, there is a special electronic device that plugs into the CDI to shift the timing plus or minus up to 2 degrees.

Is this an Ignition Update Kit installation, or the original stator and CDI?

ign update i believe the stator was installed correctly theres really only one way due to the harness ... how do i get my hnds on this machine??

+1
    I like to mark the flywheel with a black or some other visible color. You will be marking the timing marks that are on the flywheel. And I believe the 700twin is 19 degrees, I can double check that.

Then just hit it with a timing light and verify the timing mark is aligned with the indicator on the case. (their is a plastic plug that is on the top side of the flywheel cover/case, and the indicator on the case is also there)

The timing marks should align at 3000 rpm. If they don't align you loosen the locking screws on the front of the flywheel and rotate the flywheel the needed amount. (takes very little movement to retard or advance a couple degrees) Just go slow, take your time and double check everything. Just a couple degrees off on a twin and the thing will be a complete turd!

I'll see if I can find a link for you to more clear instructions and accurate timing specs.

+1
    http://www.mattmans.com/polaris/upload/

go there and click the manual for 98 all models or whatever. it can take awhile to download, but you'll find all the info and pictures you'll need.

timing is 18 degrees + or - 2 degrees. I'd get it set as close to possible at 18

When checking it with a timing light I like to have a friend hold the engine running right at the 3000rmp range while i check with a light. This should only be done for 10-15 seconds without being on a hose.

PM me if you like, or need more/better info. I could give you a call and or talk you through it.

Thread Information