+1

Help me solve this electrical problem

Ski is a 00 GPR...basically stage 2 mods...180 hours

The past couple weeks the electrical system has been acting up. The first weekend this happened I had been riding for a day or so with no problems. The ski would start up fine. Well the 2nd day I was getting gas at the marina, im getting ready to leave and go to start the ski up. Nothing, no a single sound, motor doesnt try and turn, nothing on the display. I try various things and it still showed no signs of life. After about 10 min and my last try, bam it started up no problem. Very odd.

So I get back to the house and put the battery on a charger over night. Next day put the battery in and it starts fine. Ride a couple hours that day starting and stopping with no problems. Then it happens again as I am leaving a friends boat dock. Same deal, try and start it and nothing happens at all. This time I couldnt get it to start. My friend got his motorcycle battery and basically hooked it to the battery in my ski. Bam it started up fine. I rode home and put the ski up.

So this past weekend before going to the lake I went and got a new battery thinking my current one had a bad cell or something. But the new one in and the ski started fine. Rode almost all day with no problems. However, again as I am leaving a friends house (who has a 79 mph Kerry built ski btw ) my ski does the same damn thing, no a sign of anything. The display did however come on but it was very dull and I could hardly see it. This time I take the seat off and wait about 10 minutes, bam ski starts up fine. Now I dont know if there is any correlation with this problem and heat or not. Regardless, it clearly isnt the battery.

So, what could it be? I have a feeling its going to be a pain to fix and expensive.

+1
    Check the ground wire where it connects to the engine.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, I had the same symptoms with a bad ground.

A friends ski did the same thing. it was a dirty conecter under the handle bars. He grease them up and it never did it sence.
    Mike

benny had the same type of problem...check the connector coming from the stator. It gets some corrosion on it and will start sometime and not start other. Spray some good dielectric spray or anykind of anti-corrosion spray on the connectors and see what happens.

Steve

+1
    as always.....thanks alot guys!

i'll give it a shot this weekend.

+1
    after checking connects ,start motor and fun up to 3k check voltage at battery at least 13 volts,if not see if can get someone to lend voltage reg
    later cd

Thread Information