97 XP won't run under load please help

So heres the deal I have a 97 Xp that will start just fine on the trailer but, once its in the water it is really hard to start. If it does it runs ruff and dies. Heres what I know, I checked the compression its 145 and 143. I changed the fuel lines. Pulled the carbs and checked the filters, were clean. It seams like there is good spark. So after banging my head against the wall many, many times I figured I would ask you guys

Have you checked the idle at all? Sounds crazy but I've seen people clean the carbs in the winter and move the idle and it comes out way too low. That one should be about 3000 rpm out of the water and about 1500 rpm in the water. Just a starting point if everything else seems fine from what your saying.

I have ridden it a bit in the water. It wont throttle up. When i give it throttle it just kind of bogs and smokes alot. Then it dies and it wont restart.

what are your carb screws set at? Low and high...?

dean

What are your RPM out of the water? Also, did you try running on both on and reserve on the fuel selector? You may have an air leak on one of the lines and it might run fine on the other. I just fixed 2 ski's with that problem. Ran fine on reserve but not on the on position. Would just bog alot and stall out.

+1
    I am not a 787 guy but isn't this one of the symptoms of a bad rectifier?

I believe the test is to unplug the red wire from it and see if the boat runs correctly. If so, the rectifier is bad. If it still struggles, it is something else. Just do not ride too far with that wire off as the system will not be charging.

if it smokes alot, could be a seal in the crank leaking two stroke oil from the oil bath area into one of the cylinders and just loading it up.

+1
    Check your pop-off too

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Bypass your fuel selector switch to see if it is restricting fuel flow. Remove the knob and nut and then you can access the lines. Also crack the cap on the gas tank to see if the vent check valve is bad.

Did you check the mica check valves in the fuel pump plate on the front carb? How about the condition of the pulse line, not cracked and clamps tight?

It sounds starved for fuel to me. Verify the above, it could be any one item.

Quote Originally Posted by jared427 View Post
    So heres the deal I have a 97 Xp that will start just fine on the trailer but, once its in the water it is really hard to start. If it does it runs ruff and dies. Heres what I know, I checked the compression its 145 and 143. I changed the fuel lines. Pulled the carbs and checked the filters, were clean. It seams like there is good spark. So after banging my head against the wall many, many times I figured I would ask you guys
    i asked this same question also my friend has one, it will run on the trailer but as soon as we get to the water he will take off and 5 sec. later its dead and wont restart. like it has a dead battery

Thread Information