05 Sportster not starting

Hi guys, I just brought our 05 Sporster 4-tec home from storage a few weeks ago and it has been sitting in the garage since. I didnt have any work done on it over the off season, just winterization. Today I hooked up the battery and went to give it the first start, and it just makes a bunch of quick clicking sounds when you push the start button. Engine doesnt turn or make any attempt to start. Any ideas on where to start? I am mechanically inclined, but not familiar with these boats too much yet.

Sounds silly, but the first thing I would check is your battery. If it's not new, make sure it's holding a full charge. Did you keep it on a tender while the boat was in storage? Mine did this when the battery was too weak to turn it over

Quote Originally Posted by FLSCIC View Post
    Sounds silly, but the first thing I would check is your battery. If it's not new, make sure it's holding a full charge. Did you keep it on a tender while the boat was in storage? Mine did this when the battery was too weak to turn it over
    Battery is fully charged. I searched on here and found some people with ski's have had similar problems and that its the solenoid. About $50 to replace. I want to see if anyone has had this problem before I order anything.

I had a similar problem with my '06 this year. Turns out mine was a problem with a short on the battery cable. Use a meter to check your volts from the battery to the mount on the back of the seats. one side should give you 12v and the other will only give 12v when the dss is plugged in. You can follow the red wire from the battery to the cut-off to the back of the seat and then the solenoid. Check at each point.

My 05 wouldn't start, i scratched my head. Duhhh, it was in reverse.

Thread Information