Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Who all runs an Odyssey?

Just wondering how many guys are actually running an odyssey battery. I personally never have, but always seem to hear good things about them.

I just found one for $85 shipped so I figured I'd try one. My battery was getting a little weak anyhow.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Odyssey PC625 seems to have an excellent reputation.

It seems very similar to the Deka ETX16LM sealed AGM battery, of which I have three.

Factory sealed AGM batteries are an excellent choice for PWC, as they can not leak acid, are vibration tough, output high power for starting, and have a long life.

In storage, they will hold their charge for well beyond six months, so re-charging is typically not required during the off season. My own showed about 65% charge remaining after six months on storage.

If you do need to re-charge them, AGM batteries require an AGM compatible re-charger. The battery voltage and current for charging is a little different than for regular lead-acid batteries.

+1
    Huh, thats strange.

I'd assume my Battery Tender Jr. would be fine with it though

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineR6 View Post
    Huh, thats strange.

I'd assume my Battery Tender Jr. would be fine with it though
    You should check the manual, or ask the manufacturer.

According to this web page, the Battery Tender Junior (12V @ 0.75A) is Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell).

From another web page;
    "...RECHARGING AGM BATTERIES: The primary difference between these 2 chargers is that the Battery Tender Plus was specifically designed to accommodate the charging requirements of the new, Absorbed Glass Matte (AGM) style batteries. To achieve that goal, it was necessary to modify the absorption charge mode in the following way.

The Battery Tender switches to float mode when the charge current drops to 0.5 amps. The Battery Tender Plus switches to float mode when the charge current drops to 0.1 amps. The result is that for an extended period of time, not to exceed 8 hours, the Battery Tender Plus output voltage will be held at a constant voltage that is significantly higher than the float voltage.

With the Battery Tender, the switchover at 0.5 amp results in an absorption charge mode length of approximately 1 hour. During this 1-hour period, the battery charge voltage is held constant at a value of approximately 14.3 volts. Because of the slightly higher voltage recharge requirements of AGM batteries, and because AGM batteries require a longer period of constant voltage absorption, the Battery Tender Plus controls the output voltage at 14.4 volts while it waits for either the charge current to decrease to 0.1 amp or for the absorption charge mode control timer to expire. The end result is that the Battery Tender Plus absorption period is longer and at a slightly higher voltage than that for the Battery Tender..."

+1
    They are $250 here in Aust !!

+1
    The PC625 is a fantastic battery.I have them on both ski's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    They are $250 here in Aust !!
    What about the East-Penn manufactured Deka ETX16LM?
    Very similar specs to the PC 625, if not the same.

Any 'local' brands of factory sealed AGM batteries in Australia?

+1
    Ah, the Tender Jr. should be just fine.

For the price of only $85 (shipped on top of that) I can't go wrong. If it lasts twice as long as a Yuasa or Interstate 16 series, I'll be thrilled.

In the last few years almost every battery I've tried continues to have less and less life span. Even when properly maintained.

I even saw it at the dealership........we'd litterally have pallets of one year old "qaulity" batteries that needed to be replaced, with most of them having a failed cell.

And I'd be lucky to get a Yuasa or Interstate 16 series battery for less than $75 around here!

Come to think of it, I've run across a few odyssey's in customers ski's and don't ever recall replacing a single one. Then again, I swear they've been in the $150 price range.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineR6 View Post
    ...I've run across a few Odyssey's in customers ski's and don't ever recall replacing a single one.

Then again, I swear they've been in the $150 price range.
    The Odyssey PC625 should serve you well.

The Deka ETX16LM is usually reasonably priced, and seems to be similar quality.

West Marine's SeaVolt ETX16L version (which is the same Deka ETX16LM battery under the sticker) sells for $125, and you know West Marine isn't the least expensive source around!

+1
    I have one in all 3 of my pwc...got all of them off ebay at a very good price $65 each. Been using them for 3 years and still going strong. I fully charge them just before storage and they are good till spring. I fully charge them in the spring and are good to go for the summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information