+1

special paint/clear coat to protect exterior parts of ski? any suggestions? Por-15?

Right now I'm having both of my skis completely stripped, sanded, filled and painted with some hardcore imron paint. I was looking at my jet pump and I would really like to protect it somehow from the elements...by sealing it.

What have you all done before...and what worked the best? I'd also like to seal up the ride plates by Jim vs. having to buff them/cut into them lightly to make it perfect for another year of riding.

I was thinking of taking the pumps, glass bead blasting them and then either painting them with Por-15 or just sealing them with a few coats of clearcoat.

look forward to hearing your suggestions.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    Right now I'm having both of my skis completely stripped, sanded, filled and painted with some hardcore imron paint. I was looking at my jet pump and I would really like to protect it somehow from the elements...by sealing it.

What have you all done before...and what worked the best? I'd also like to seal up the ride plates by Jim vs. having to buff them/cut into them lightly to make it perfect for another year of riding.

I was thinking of taking the pumps, glass bead blasting them and then either painting them with Por-15 or just sealing them with a few coats of clearcoat.

look forward to hearing your suggestions.
    I think someone tried powder coating parts. I don't know if any follow up was said about how it held up.

It is aluminum... hard anodizing with a teflon bath after? I will leave the real answer to people who have more of an idea. Just throwing my 2 cents out there.

+1
    I had the exhausts on both machines powder coated last season. It was a mess because the powdercoating process bakes the pieces and they are mostly cast pieces as is intake grates, jet pumps etc. Resulted in a ton of bubbles...however the exhaust is still clean

shoot me some more ideas please!

CRC rust proof spray

and the ever so famous crc 6-46 for the engine compartment!! I use this EVERY DAY to keep a sweet look to my skis!

Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    I had the exhausts on both machines powder coated last season. It was a mess because the powdercoating process bakes the pieces and they are mostly cast pieces as is intake grates, jet pumps etc. Resulted in a ton of bubbles...however the exhaust is still clean

shoot me some more ideas please!
    You need to pre-bake the pieces to get all of the contaminants out first...it seems to help. Another option is to use an automotive catalyzed urethane paint.

Thread Information