Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

How to motivate yourself....

I have such a big build at hand and i just can't get going on it. It's a build that's never been done before and it's a hell of a lot of work.

There is no way i'm getting to the water this summer.

So how do you guys keep yourselves in high gear with your long ass builds?

Quote Originally Posted by ADSR View Post
    I have such a big build at hand and i just can't get going on it. It's a build that's never been done before and it's a hell of a lot of work.

There is no way i'm getting to the water this summer.

So how do you guys keep yourselves in high gear with your long ass builds?

some advice i wish someone would have given me was to have all your parts before you start the build. or at least a steady flow of parts arriving to stay busy. it is easy to start getting complacent when you are staring at a hull or motor with no progress because of waiting on parts. i am pretty pissed right now coz a guy who was supposed ot come through on some stuff for me hasn't returned my calls for the last three days!

also, stay organized. i keep an agenda of what i want to accomplish and a detailed list of what needs to be completed in its specific order.

last but not least. read other build threads. seeing joe's spitfire and shippby's bumble bee makes me want to keep working and do everythign right. i personally find a lot of motivation in the challenge of building a ski that will be as cool as some built before mine

+1
    Personally, when I need to get going, i think about the outcome of the project. Knowing that when I am done building the ski, its going to hit the water and I will be on its maiden voyage reaping the benefits. Its always about the water, remember that, the sooner you get done, the faster you will enjoy the water.
    If thats not enough then I don't what is honestly. Speed + water = great time in my book.
    SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    Personally, when I need to get going, i think about the outcome of the project. Knowing that when I am done building the ski, its going to hit the water and I will be on its maiden voyage reaping the benefits. Its always about the water, remember that, the sooner you get done, the faster you will enjoy the water.
    If thats not enough then I don't what is honestly. Speed + water = great time in my book.
    SHOOTER

agreed, but don't let the thought of water let you rush and make mistakes. sometimes impatience can lead to some major problems. keep your goals in mind, but be realistic.

+1
    my build almost took me two years. Just look at it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. I finally cleared off my workbench today for the first time in nearly two years. I jut had so much going on. Take your time, give it your full attention when you do work on it. You will have spurts of energy when you do want to work on it, or when parts arrive. Just think of this long build as therapeutic. and as a patience builder.

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    my build almost took me two years. Just look at it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. I finally cleared off my workbench today for the first time in nearly two years. I jut had so much going on. Take your time, give it your full attention when you do work on it. You will have spurts of energy when you do want to work on it, or when parts arrive. Just think of this long build as therapeutic. and as a patience builder.

+1
    great insight from someone with build experience!

+1
    From start to finish this can be done in 4 8hour days with decent motivation. Finished one this week even with an external IC and piping. Boat was delivered on Friday morning and then built a 2 stroke GPR that afternoon. Everything is spelled out and just isn't that hard if you put your mind to it.

IMO, don't start the project until all parts are on hand.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    From start to finish this can be done in 4 8hour days with decent motivation. Finished one this week even with an external IC and piping. Boat was delivered on Friday morning and then built a 2 stroke GPR that afternoon. Everything is spelled out and just isn't that hard if you put your mind to it.

Got all the parts in hand. This is not your everyday conversion. I doubt you will see one ever again.

I'm going to start putting my mind in to it tomorrow and come up with a good game plan. When i get it underway, i'll post a few pics.

+1
    LOL, this thread is getting me going!!

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

i made the the mistake of having half of what i needed and relying on strangers to come through on the other half. needless to say i'm hoping to get my shit back and will be visting the online store AGAIN.

don't let the excitement of the build get in the way of proper planning and orginization. I have been working on my build for weeks, but have only put 10 or 15 hours into it (including tearing down an RXT) because i wasn't prepared.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information