Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy 96 GTX Losing Power

Hello again,

First I want to thank those who helped me with the inital issues in my previous thread. This forum is great and some very helpful members.....

Now for the bad news!!! Well as some of you know, I have 2 96 Seadoo GTX's. One runs great the other...well not so great!... My problem is this: The ski when first taken out on the lake was running good but each time taken out it was for short rides. When one of the riders took it out for awhile it started acting up and he said it was losing power and asked if it had a governor on it!!!.. After the ski was sitting for about 5minutes I took the ski out and it seemed fine a few rounds of the lake (Bout 10min.) then all of a sudden the ski would peak about 25miles an hours then bogg out (Lose Power) then pick back up to 25 miles an hour then bogg out (lose power) again.

Not sure what the problem is, I tried to look at the gauges and the gauges are a bit unreadeable because the LCD display is kind of orangish (I'm assuming old) From what I could read the warning display blinked compartment/Temp....

Any ideas whats going on? I searched the net but no luck so far!!!

Thanks again!!!

Houdini

The Crazy CLam
    possible carb issue....welcome to my world...my 95 SPX has this problem....fuel filters inside carb....but mine seem to be salted on the motor...sucks

Would carb issues cause the GTX to run fine for the first 10 minutes then bogg out then pick up speed then bogg out then pick up speed? If it is turned off for awhile and let sit it will run fine for the first 10min then do it again..... I've read that sometiems this could be caused by either the rectifier or compression problems....

any ideas?

Houdini

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    This is a classic rectifier failing symptom. Replace it and you'll be fine.

Thanks 96XPSS,

I'm going to try replacing the rectifier as I've seen other threads in other forums with the symptoms,problem and rectifier solution. I will keep you all posted. Any ideas where to find parts for a 96 GTX at reasonable prices? I did a search online and can't seem to find the part. Ebay has them but its for newer models. Oh and the most important question.....Where IS the rectifer located????...lol.. I looked in my shop manually and can't seem to find where it's located...

Thanks!
    Houdini

+1
    It is in the front e-box (coils are in the back on that year, right?)

This shows it, number 30
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=39&B=9

Before just replacing the rectifier, test it. If you have access to a lab scope, hook it up and run the engine at 3000 rpm. There should be 14-15 volts D.C. There should be very little ripple. Another way is to hook up a digital volt meter to the battery. Set the meter to read A.C. voltage, yes, A.C. voltage, it is not a typo. run the ski at 3000 RPM and if the A.C. voltage is above .5 volts (1/2 volt or 500 millivolts) the rectifier is not rectifing the A.C. voltage the alternator puts out and the rectifier is bad. It beats random parts replacement. I do have good rectifier for that ski. I am parting out a 96 GTX.
    Last edited by planiack; 05-17-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added info

+1
    [quote=planiack;1061649]If you have access to a lab scope[quote]

And I thought I had hit the big time when I got a pop-off guage.

Planiack,

Whats your price on the rectifier? what other parts you got for sale?

Thanks!!!
    Houdini

Thanks KrunchovXPL!!!

I'm going to order the part tomorrow and we'll see what happens!!!.. One other quick question, I checked the plugs in the ski with the problem and the front plug (towards the front of the ski) looked fine, normal chocolate residue looking film on the plug. the rear plug didn't have as much residue as the front...is this of any concern or normal? the skis is on somewhat of a slant when parked.

Thanks!
    Houdini

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information