Thread: hull question?

+1

hull question?

so wen i got my ski the guy i got it from used boat bottom paint on it so this winter i sanded it off and my dad is getting madd at me cuz i havent got around to painting it yet. so my question is can i use it in the water and just rinse ot off really well wen i put it on the trailer??

Quote Originally Posted by yz450f View Post
    so wen i got my ski the guy i got it from used boat bottom paint on it so this winter i sanded it off and my dad is getting madd at me cuz i havent got around to painting it yet. so my question is can i use it in the water and just rinse ot off really well wen i put it on the trailer??
    I speak from a boating perspective (fiberglass/gel coat), but I have to assume that SMC has very similar properties in terms of barnacle, algae adhesion. Bottom paint is typically for watercraft that are docked for long periods of time, not trailered. Bottom paint contains copper which impedes the growth of algae and barnacles. The growth can slow down your boat/ski. If you trailer, just wash her down after every use.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crownline99 View Post
    I speak from a boating perspective (fiberglass/gel coat), but I have to assume that SMC has very similar properties in terms of barnacle, algae adhesion. Bottom paint is typically for watercraft that are docked for long periods of time, not trailered. Bottom paint contains copper which impedes the growth of algae and barnacles. The growth can slow down your boat/ski. If you trailer, just wash her down after every use.

i understand that
    now i sanded off all the bottom paint and its down to the hull in certain spots and most of the gel coat is gone

can i use the ski in salt water if i trailer it and wash it with fresh water really well?

yes. I have a proline that has never been bottom painted. I use it in salt every chance I get. just wash flush and go. a little wd40 in the engine compartment will not hurt. the hull of a yami is molded plastic. salt water will not hurt it.

no gel coat on a yami

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    mine is rubbing off near the back of the ski and i'm not worried about it one bit. i am in fresh water and i trailer it...

Thread Information