Hurricane Ally aka Polk county, Auburndale Florida.

MSX 150 - No CEL Max RPM 6000

Hi all, I have seen a lot of threads about 6000 rpm being the max and a CEL code being thrown. My ski is not throwing a code, but it is still topping out at 6000rpm, if I hop the ski over wakes the rpm will jump like you would expect, but power is topped out at 6000. My boost gauge is only going up about 2/3 the way.

The problem started to manifest itself by the ski missing or breaking down at top end. I originally thought I had a ignition problem, I tested the coils and replaced the plugs. Found out the problem was two bad spark plugs, once I got that fixed I found the ski is topping out as stated at around 6k rpm. It is like the throttle is not being seen beyond 1/3 open, when I am running at 6k rpm, I can let off the throttle and the ski doesn't slow down until I am back to 1/3 open from that point to all the way back to no trigger at all, the ski acts like it is suppose too.

I have seen threads about TPS on NSX 140's, does the 150 have a tps? If so is there a way to test it?

I also ran some STP fuel treatment through the ski, then replaced fuel filter.

I started a new thread so I didn't hi-jack someone elses thread that has similar symptoms but are receiving CEL code errors.

Thanks in advance to all,
    Regards,
    Phil

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerme View Post
    ...I have seen threads about TPS on MSX 140's, does the MSX 150 have a TPS?
    The MSX 140 is a completely different engine from the MSX 110 and MSX 150 Weber engines.

No engine parts are shared between the MSX 140 2-stroke and the Weber 4-stroke engines.

+1
    If you were to 'wake' up the MSX but not start it (quick jab on the stater button) does your throttle butterfly work /move. you should not even have to pull a hose to look you will be able to here the stepper motor (low volume high pitched noise) changing note when you pull on the throttle.
    If you did pull the hose of the throttle body you can watch the butterfly from closed to fully open.
    You could try and let it get back in sync, The description in the manual can be confusing as it usually only wants to do this when it needs to. It is designed to do this to keep up with changes in wear. I will find the article on the Weber engine that explains this tomorrow as i could not explain it clearly enough.

But in essence wake up the ski and leave it for a few minutes with the lanyard in place, you may here it clicking etc

If you suspect it is biding mechanically you can push the butterfly open with your fingers. A bit of resistance but you wont break anything.

Then again this may have nothing do do with your problems

Cheers
    Last edited by Kosh; 05-18-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: more information

Hurricane Ally aka Polk county, Auburndale Florida.
    Thanks Kosh,

We are finally having a few rainy days here so I will not be able to test until later in the week. Though, I did try this last weekend I really didn't know what I was looking for so I probably didn't do it correctly, but I didn't hear anything when I tried.

If you can post the document or a link I would be very grateful....

Regards,
    Phil

+1
    Here is some information on the bosch ME7.4.4 from a Citreon. The principals are the same although some of the components are different.

Desperardo is the expert on these check out his posts.

Cheers

+1
    Sorry attachment missed on last post
    Attached Files Attached Files

Jet Ski Tinker

Sensors

Beerme,

Hear is some information on testing the sensors.

Dosuser..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information