Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prop pitch, damage question

Hello everyone, I've been a stalker here for quite awhile and first off I'd like to say how impressed I am with all of the detailed information and testing that has been documented here. Coming from a high performance automotive background, I really appreciate the hard work it takes to achieve the last few percent of performance for anything. As for my question, I have a SHO that sucked a rock into the pump while idleing last year. It was dinged somewhat and I was considering replacing it to avoid problems. I currently have a Riva grate and PPK kit installed in it. I was wondering what prop pitch would be suitable for a replacement? On holeshot, I was all over the limiter during my last couple of rides and I have roughly 20 hours on this ski. If I replace the prop, I was also thinking about adding the Riva power filter kit and the intake manifold upgrade. If I also did that, what would the recommended pitch be then? That would probably be the extent of the mods for this year as a condition for my purchasing the SHO was that I refurbished the wife's older Polaris ski and that has taken a good chuck of my yearly ski fund. I've attached a couple of the best photos I could get to allow for inspection. How damaged does the prop look? It is still kind of cold here in Indiana and I have people coming up next weekend for the 500, so I probably won't be able to hit the water for a few weeks anyway and I would like to have everything in tip top shape when I do. I would like to thank you all in advance for your help and wish everyone a great Memorial Day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHO 002.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	132079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHO 003.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	132080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHO 004.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	132081  

I think the term you were looking for is "lurker" not stalker.

That would be it. If I only had a better command over the english language than I could have made my high school guidance counselor proud and went into technical writing instead of robotic programming. But then again, it's harder to write a coherent sentence after a case of Heinken than it is to program a robot. Seriously, though, how about some recommendations. Thanks again.

+1
    I am no pro or anything, but if you are looking for top proformance then i would get a new prop, if your more of a casual rider I think you should be fine

+1
    I not a pro either, but after playing around iwth props on both of my SHO skis, and living in FL, we are re-pitching all the time, for the hot summers and cooler and drier winters.

That being said, bolt on the mods that you want to do and see where your RPMs are -- preferable with a Pet Tach, then you can get a good idea of where you need to pitch your prop.

I am running a 12/22 on my FXSHO and RPMs are 7700 on stock gauge. I have all the bolt ons and a modded ride plate.

I am running a 13/25 on my conversion with 7400. I have to repitch, but I am going to add a few goodies, and hopefully by then Solas will have a dynafly prop.

BTW, send your prop to get it fixed. A lot of forum members have suggested Impros.

Thank you for your insight. My feeling was that if the prop needed to be replaced to avoid cavitation damage then I might as well add the mods that I could stomach the $ for now and get the corresponding correctly pitched prop. Any ideas on prop pitch for what I mentioned earlier?

impros can can fix your prop and re pitch it too just tell them what you want, there GREAT.....

I guess another reason why I was leaning towards buying another prop was so that I would have less down time and so that in the future I would have a spare to re-pitch or for emergencies.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Pearl View Post
    Thank you for your insight. My feeling was that if the prop needed to be replaced to avoid cavitation damage then I might as well add the mods that I could stomach the $ for now and get the corresponding correctly pitched prop. Any ideas on prop pitch for what I mentioned earlier?
    Again, I am in learners mode with props, but the 12/22 stock prop has been working fine for me and that's where I would start.

Some of the cavitation now is from the damaged prop. A bad leading edge will increase the cavitation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information