Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intake grate pulled out of hull

The two knurled brass inserts holding up my intake grate pulled right out of the fiberglass somehow. I see Jerry has a grate girdle available now, I will probably get that but should I drill out the holes in the fiberglass the brass inserts go into and JB weld them back in?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	132090  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBill9000 View Post
    The two knurled brass inserts holding up my intake grate pulled right out of the fiberglass somehow. I see Jerry has a grate girdle available now, I will probably get that but should I drill out the holes in the fiberglass the brass inserts go into and JB weld them back in?
    there are threads on here to combat your situation look for them, regards bill

Quote Originally Posted by WildBill9000 View Post
    the girdle is only for the RXP NOT THE RXT as far as the inserts go dont epoxy them they will pull out again. ppg has a repair kit but that didnt work for me either the inserts are to big and split the housing. i added to holes next to the hole in the rear and i am tack welding the front to the rideplate

Did your center bolt pull out too?? My center bolt on my 07 RXT is threaded directly into the rideplate I believe. My PPG kit (unfortunatley I got the last one) will be here tonight when I get home so I will try it out. They may have gotten more in, I dont know. It looks like a 50/50 shot that it will work according to the posts on this forum. Only one insert pulled out on mine. I was going to take the other one out and use both inserts in the kit, but as I was under my ski and trying to get the other out....it was very very tight. Im not going to take it out. Im only going to fix the broken insert. I think Im going to get the jb marineweld expoxy and use that with the PPG kit instead of the epoxy it comes with. Ive read good things about the JB line of products.

Dave

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

what are we lookin at???? is that a rxp?? with a girdle??? please explain

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by busa504 View Post
    what are we lookin at???? is that a rxp?? with a girdle??? please explain
    RXP yes. No girdle. Took out that puny ass bolt. Drilled out the plate tab, tapped it. Used a countersink bit to taper the grate hole. Siliconed it up and threaded in a big hex head, countersunk bolt. I got the idea from SuckMyWake. Bolt has a hell of alot more surface area to grab on now.

+1
    I see some ride plate holes that need filling!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    I see some ride plate holes that need filling!
    I know. I need to take the time and do it but I'm lazy!!!

Well, I got my ppg insert kit yesterday and......I didnt use it. Those inserts are huge and I was afraid if I drilled the insert holes bigger to accomodate the new inserts, it would compromise the strength of the holes themselves. So..against the advice of others on here, I epoxied the original back in using alot of loctite marine two part epoxy. After curing and before puting the riva grate on, I added a healthy dose of black silicone adhesive around the front and rear bolt holes just to give it a little additional strength. After bolting the grate up (all bolts went nice and tight this time) I was almost doing pull ups off the intake grate and it aint movin. Hopefully the repair will hold up. Ill advise after I take it out on the water.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information