Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Frustrated Newb In search of answers.

I was wondering if I could get some input as to what is wrong with my ski. I just got it, its an 01 gp1200r. It starts fine and Idles fine. I took it out for the first time today, it started off all good but as I reached 20mph it started bogging. It seems like a fuel issue, or something is clogged. After a while everything was fine and there seemed to be no problem, I was cruising at 70+mph, then it started to bog down again and wouldnt go above 60. I thought maybe the gas had somehow got wet so I ran sea foam through it, still bogging. It will be fine one minute then bogging the next. I believe the ski has an aftermarket exhaust. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I hope this makes sense, I am dead tired after being at the lake all day. Thanks in advancve for any input.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoked2011 View Post
    I was wondering if I could get some input as to what is wrong with my ski. I just got it, its an 01 gp1200r. It starts fine and Idles fine. I took it out for the first time today, it started off all good but as I reached 20mph it started bogging. It seems like a fuel issue, or something is clogged. After a while everything was fine and there seemed to be no problem, I was cruising at 70+mph, then it started to bog down again and wouldnt go above 60. I thought maybe the gas had somehow got wet so I ran sea foam through it, still bogging. It will be fine one minute then bogging the next. I believe the ski has an aftermarket exhaust. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I hope this makes sense, I am dead tired after being at the lake all day. Thanks in advancve for any input.
    How many hours are on the ski? It sounds like you may need your carbs rebuilt. Also if you looking at the stock speedometer (dreamometer) it never reads your speed accurately, between 5-10 mph or more off at all times.

140 hrs. The guy I got it from said it had the "riva racing" package, so I dont know if it has been rebuilt. When it was not bogging it pulled damn hard. Do these carbs need to be synced?

Update: I ran it in the driveway today and decided to pull the plugs to see how they looked. Water was beading up on them, I am guessing that I have water in the gas. I turned teh fuel to off then ran it untill it died then squirted some oil into the cylinders to re lube them. I then drained the gas (3/4 full tank). I am hoping this will solve my issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I also pulled the sending unit to check the Flappy door thing I read about on here, it has already been removed. When I was putting the unit back into the tank I noticed that the rubber gasket that holds it to the tank was cracked. I called the local stealership and they told me I had to purchase a whole new unit, some outrageous price $360. I rigged a ziplock bag and a couple zip ties around the crack, should work for now.
    Another thing i noticed while working on my ski was the intake system seems to be missing, just a big gaping hole, i think its missing some tubing??

Another thing was my exhaust temp sensor was unplugged, I read on here about the chip mod where you bypass it and leave it unplugged. Is there any way to test this? Or check if I have that mod?

Also I found what seems to be a grease nipple for the drive?? It is just sitting in the hull and looks like its supposed to be mounted somewhere..

I apoligize in advance for my ignorance, I have never had a machine like this before.

Moderated
    1. sounds like your carbs need a rebuild, my 02 model did at 130 odd hours as well as it was bogging badly after been put away for the season.

2. buy a second hand sender off here if you really need one, our prices are much better

3. the intake has been opened up for more air, heck I dont even run that, i have open flame arrestors attached to my carbs and thats it. more air generally means more power and the ol GPR is a bit starved from factory in this area.

4. if the temp sensor is unplugged the ski had a dplate instead of a catcon, this is much better than a cat and will not fail. leave it be.

5. the nipple is indeed a grease nnipple for the drive line, it bolts to one of the top parts of the head, it sort of hangs off to one side but have it loose wont hurt you, also dont over pump the grease in there are it will damage the seals, just one or two pumps ok.

feel free to ask more questions if needed

Thanks for the response. Should I be worried about the water on the plugs? I am getting worried that it may be a head gasket?
    I just dont understand how it could run so damn good for a while and then go back to bogging. For maybe 30 mins it was running amazing, 75 with two people. It was only teasing me.

The worst thing you can do to your ski is turn the fuel off and run the engine till it dies. Its not a four stroke.....
    If you do this you can cause a severe Lean in your engine and take the whole engine out!!!!!
    Better make sure you didnt create more damage by scoring you cylinders. NEVER STARVE A 2 STROKE!!!!! Just hit the off button or pull the lanyard.

Moderated
    and the water on plugs bit is bad as well, plugs should not have water on them, it sounds like you have somehow ingested water, perhaps because your lack of an air box....

I recommend you fix whatever is causing this first before it takes out your top end.....

+1
    welcome to the forum

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Just hit the off button or pull the lanyard.

i pull the throttle wide open just after pulling the lanyard to put extra lube in

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information