Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

can cavitation be so bad?

can it be so bad that the engine will not cool properly. i have 99 xlt that cavitates so bad that at idle there is no water coming out of the side pisser. i have a gpr 01 that has a steady stream all the time. the xlt will only show water while it runs fast. it will cavitate simply by hitting the throttle at a stand still. I will pull the boat and check the wear ring. impeller looks good. Also does the rev limiter cause the boat to shut off or nock the rpms down to idle? this is the first time I have had the boat in the water. I replaced the engine this winter and it seems to run well but the pump may need some work. It has 248 hrs on the boat.

+1
    sounds like a blocked water line or kink somehwere, and overheating causing it to go into limp mode from the cdi

Quote Originally Posted by crashhard View Post
    sounds like a blocked water line or kink somehwere, and overheating causing it to go into limp mode from the cdi
    sounds spot on.

you wont have cavitation, just an air leak into your pump shoe, you need to drop the grate, drop the pump shoe and get it sealed up with a pump plug kit and plenty of sealer. The wear ring may be worn, but this should fix a large part of your issue.

cavitation is a misconception, it is where the prop causes the H2O to separate into hydrogen and Oxygen which under pressure the the minus 1 will burn the leading edges of the prop. (there's your nerdy science lesson for the day lol)

I have seen it peal paint off a prop

the pump shoe in stock form is just not good or does time cause it to fail. the gpr I have has none of these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff12pv View Post
    the pump shoe in stock form is just not good or does time cause it to fail. the gpr I have has none of these issues.
    the pump set up on yamahas is poor to say the least, with a bit of TLC they are fantastic. some a re ok, some are just plain ugly. Seal her up, the wallet wont hurt too bad and you should be good to go.

I will also trace the lines and see if there is a dirt dobber or something. the boat had been sitting a while before I got it

GP1300R ported single pipe prop??

What prop pitch are some of you ported 1300 single pipe using, and what rpms are you getting? I'm using a 14V setback Magnum pump on mine and I would like some feed back from some of you who had tried different pitches and pumps.

this is a stock boat. I do not think it is too much power for the prop.

+1
    It's a 99, so there's no limp home mode. Cavitation does not cause cooling problems, so your problem is elsewhere. Check out the pump strainer while you're down there looking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information