+1

Cavitation Issues

I am still fighting with launch cavitation on the P-X. I put in a solid front mount and waiting on my scat seal to arrive this week. Can't figure out if its the carbon seal leaking air or the driveshaft moving around. But heres the weird thing, I just rebuilt an 06 RXP and its doing the same thing. I am installing the driveshaft incorrectly? I followed the service manual exact and have the tell tale mark in the right place. Do you guys have any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan RXP View Post
    I am still fighting with launch cavitation on the P-X. I put in a solid front mount and waiting on my scat seal to arrive this week. Can't figure out if its the carbon seal leaking air or the driveshaft moving around. But heres the weird thing, I just rebuilt an 06 RXP and its doing the same thing. I am installing the driveshaft incorrectly? I followed the service manual exact and have the tell tale mark in the right place. Do you guys have any tips?
    put that seal in then let us know

how does the bearing seal stop cavitation????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brendus View Post
    how does the bearing seal stop cavitation????
    With the accordian boot under hard acceleration it can be sucked away from the stainless top hat on the drive shaft and therefore introduce air from inside the hull to the tunnel causing cavitation. R88

+1
    Question; when the floating ring and carbon seal are all assembled and the pump is out. Are you suppose to be able to pull the drive shaft outwards 1-2 inches? I can and there is a fair amount of pressure from the the floating ring compressing the belows. Is this normal?

Does the P-X have fins in the pump shoe. I had part of one of the fins on my RXP break off. It cause mine to cavitate badly out of the hole.

Get some wide zip-ties, like 3 of them, and zip them in place in the valley parts of the accordian boot, then slowly tighten them so the pressure forces the boot to expand. Not too much as too much pressure on the carbon ring will cause it to get too hot, but just enough pressure to keep them firmly in contact which each other.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by novaprop67 View Post
    Get some wide zip-ties, like 3 of them, and zip them in place in the valley parts of the accordian boot, then slowly tighten them so the pressure forces the boot to expand. Not too much as too much pressure on the carbon ring will cause it to get too hot, but just enough pressure to keep them firmly in contact which each other.
    That's a great tip!!

+1
    Thanks I will try that out and let you know if it fixes the problem.

Duppy no who fi frighten, Make Dem Try Good2Go16's Avatar
    Question; when the floating ring and carbon seal are all assembled and the pump is out. Are you suppose to be able to pull the drive shaft outwards 1-2 inches? I can and there is a fair amount of pressure from the the floating ring compressing the belows. Is this normal?

Yes you should be able to pull the pump outwards about 1" to 2" with the pump out.

Check out this link it might help you out

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90530

Thread Information