Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1300R Buyers Overview

In a couple of days I will be going to look at a 2003 GP1300R and I have been doing a lot of research on what to inspect and look for when buying one.
    So after hours of searching around on the forums finding information, comparing the information to the manual and finding the common problems with the GPR's, I came up with a little user check list.
    I was hoping I could get some more input on things to check and add to my list if need. I feel like I have put on the basics when it comes to looking the ski over, but with all of the knowledge on here I'm sure I am overlooking something.

So if you have the time, please look over my document and add any input you can. Thanks in advance from a soon to be GP1300R owner.

(Please avoid any negitivity that I'm not buying a See-Doo, Honda or Kawasaki etc.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is the pictures of the ski.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richmond - GP1300R - Nice Single Trailer 1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	132263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richmond - GP1300R - Nice Single Trailer 3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	856.9 KB 
ID:	132264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richmond - GP1300R - Nice Single Trailer 5.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	890.1 KB 
ID:	132265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richmond - GP1300R - Nice Single Trailer 2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	837.9 KB 
ID:	132266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richmond - GP1300R - Nice Single Trailer 4.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	886.6 KB 
ID:	132267  

+1
    Your list look pretty good, but a little overkill on the compression check. Your not going to be able to warm up the ski on the trailer. If you can take it for a ride go for it. If not start it a couple times for 15-20 seconds and let it rest. Start it again for 15-20 seconds. And then check the compression.

The ski looks pretty much stock. How many hours? How much are they asking. I got mine with an 05 trailer and 11.2 hours on it over a year ago for $4500.

For the compression check just pull the plug wires, put them to the side away from fuel, metal etc. insert gauge in first plug hole (make sure the guage end is not longer than the spark plug end - otherwise you will get a big boom and bust a piston), give it full throttle, and hold start button. The pressure will stabalize (hopefully around 125-130 psi) The rear cylinder will - should be about 5 psi less.

Definatley check the pump tunnel and for reinforcement. Also in your pics the first pump tunnel has the old 03 single brackets, the pic with the fiberglass reinforcement has the updated single piece pump shoe brackets. (This is an official recall and the Yama dealers have to replace the old brackets. Mine were replaced last year on my 03) The pic of the brackets that you have in your write up are the ride plate of trim tab brackets, not the pump shoe brackets.

Ask about D plate and cat chip. If they have no idea what your talking about you have your answer.

Check prop and wear ring.

Waveeater clips are important.

Overall body condition and condition of motor / and engine compartment tell a lot.

Good luck and welcome to GH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's GPR View Post
    Your list look pretty good, but a little overkill on the compression check. Your not going to be able to warm up the ski on the trailer. If you can take it for a ride go for it. If not start it a couple times for 15-20 seconds and let it rest. Start it again for 15-20 seconds. And then check the compression.

The ski looks pretty much stock. How many hours? How much are they asking. I got mine with an 05 trailer and 11.2 hours on it over a year ago for $4500.

For the compression check just pull the plug wires, put them to the side away from fuel, metal etc. insert gauge in first plug hole (make sure the guage end is not longer than the spark plug end - otherwise you will get a big boom and bust a piston), give it full throttle, and hold start button. The pressure will stabalize (hopefully around 125-130 psi) The rear cylinder will - should be about 5 psi less.

Definatley check the pump tunnel and for reinforcement. Also in your pics the first pump tunnel has the old 03 single brackets, the pic with the fiberglass reinforcement has the updated single piece pump shoe brackets. (This is an official recall and the Yama dealers have to replace the old brackets. Mine were replaced last year on my 03) The pic of the brackets that you have in your write up are the ride plate of trim tab brackets, not the pump shoe brackets.

Ask about D plate and cat chip. If they have no idea what your talking about you have your answer.

Check prop and wear ring.

Waveeater clips are important.

Overall body condition and condition of motor / and engine compartment tell a lot.

Good luck and welcome to GH!!!
    Thats for the tips. The guy is asking $4300 for the ski and says it has 97hrs on it. He says that each cylinder has 100psi of compression. I'm not sure if he is just saying that or if he has actually checked.

Any chance you have a picture of the pump shoe bracket? I'm pretty sure I know what it is now, but I just want to reassure myself that I do.

So assuming the compression is around 100psi you think it might be one to avoid? There is (2) GP1300R's for sale locally, this one and one for $3900. Both of them are 2003's as well with the same number of hours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD View Post
    Thats for the tips. The guy is asking $4300 for the ski and says it has 97hrs on it. He says that each cylinder has 100psi of compression. I'm not sure if he is just saying that or if he has actually checked.

Any chance you have a picture of the pump shoe bracket? I'm pretty sure I know what it is now, but I just want to reassure myself that I do.

So assuming the compression is around 100psi you think it might be one to avoid? There is (2) GP1300R's for sale locally, this one and one for $3900. Both of them are 2003's as well with the same number of hours.
    I would try to get an 03 stock for around $3500 with trailer. See the pic of the left side pump shoe updated bracket. You have to remove the battery box to see this. Also when Yamaha does the recall there supposed to put a black dot on the left side of the hull in the motor compartment by the name plate.

Also if it has 100 psi it's pretty low. (should be around 120-130 psi with 5 psi less on the rear cylinder) If the guy checked it, he probably has a low reading guage, a low battery, or did not hold the throttle wide open while testing the compression.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNV30229.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	132431  

I would try to get an 03 stock for around $3500 with trailer. See the pic of the left side pump shoe updated bracket. You have to remove the battery box to see this. Also when Yamaha does the recall there supposed to put a black dot on the left side of the hull in the motor compartment by the name plate.

Also if it has 100 psi it's pretty low. (should be around 120-130 psi with 5 psi less on the rear cylinder) If the guy checked it, he probably has a low reading guage, a low battery, or did not hold the throttle wide open while testing the compression.
    $3500 is perfect for what I want to pay and it's honestly what I expected to find price wise for a 03'ish GP1300R with a trailer. Finding one with a lower amount of hour is good but I know that wont determine whether or not the ski is going to be a good one that has been taken care of.

Hopefully within the next couple of days I'll have a GP1300R but if not, I don't mind waiting for the right one.

You mentioned checking the wear ring, how should I go about doing this and where exactly is it located? I'm looking through the manual and not coming up with anything. Can this be checked by the overall shaft play?

+1
    $3500 is perfect for what I want to pay and it's honestly what I expected to find price wise for a 03'ish GP1300R with a trailer. Finding one with a lower amount of hour is good but I know that wont determine whether or not the ski is going to be a good one that has been taken care of.

Hopefully within the next couple of days I'll have a GP1300R but if not, I don't mind waiting for the right one.

You mentioned checking the wear ring, how should I go about doing this and where exactly is it located? I'm looking through the manual and not coming up with anything. Can this be checked by the overall shaft play?
    The wear ring is where the impeller is. The ring goes around the impeller and provides minimal clearance for the pump to operate efficiently. The easiest way to see this is to look through the intake grate. You can inspect the prop for dings, rock chips, abuse. You can also see the wear ring and the clearance around the prop. You can use a feeler guage or check with a flashlight from the opposite end.

The wear ring is where the impeller is. The ring goes around the impeller and provides minimal clearance for the pump to operate efficiently. The easiest way to see this is to look through the intake grate. You can inspect the prop for dings, rock chips, abuse. You can also see the wear ring and the clearance around the prop. You can use a feeler guage or check with a flashlight from the opposite end.
    That is what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again for all the help so far, I'm sure I'll have plenty of other question down the road.

+1
    That is what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again for all the help so far, I'm sure I'll have plenty of other question down the road.
    No problem, there's a lot of little things you can do to these GP1300R's to really make them rock solid and perform so much better than from the factory.

Moderated
    if the comp is indeed 100psi it needs a top end rebuild and has not been looked after real well if its 100 psi with 95 hours on it imho, it should be 115-125 psi odd with those hours.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information