Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Just want to ride.
    +1

Rough Water Speed/Handling Advice?

Here's the scenario -

On the lake in 6" to 2' chop/swells. Riding with buddy on an 01 1200r; he's got a single bar grate/ppk/dplate/freeflow. Every time we take off, he's out in front by 6 lengths in a heartbeat, and I can't quite catch up. If we hit flat water, I'm on him quick, and can walk away. In any kind of chop, forget it. It's all I can do to get close, then I come unhooked, and he's gone again.

In addition, as I'm riding the chop, the ski in neutral trim position or 1 click up feels like it wants to fly at times - almost like it's got lift underneath? Hard to explain, but it feels like the nose wants to go up, instead of stay planted. If I trim all the way down, it's better, but that kills my speed.

We swapped skis to see if rider had anything to do with it (he outweighs me by 50lbs); same thing. I kill him riding his ski, and he can't keep up on mine.

Is this all (or almost all) rideplate? I'm using a double bar grate, PPK, Riva Plate/Trim Tabs/13-20sb impeller/87mm nozzle. I'm thinking about pulling the Plate off and going back to stock, since we ride in this type of water all the time - in addition, I've got the 05 pump/dynafly combo on order. What else do I need to look for or change?

Thanks in advance!

+1
    have you tryed steping sponsons + check play on trim nozzle

later cd

+1
    Put the stock ride plate on and give it a try

+1
    Your "goal" here, is to make him spend more money than you.

Stock rideplate and 05 pump should put you in the rough water catbird seat again. You won't catch him on smooth, however.

Just want to ride.
    +1
    More $ - how true!

I just can't keep getting beat by a guy I introduced to the sport a couple years ago - who got all sneaky and bought some stuff to go fast without telling me about it until he smoked me!

I'm wondering about the 'smooth' speed? If I'm running a 14/20 dynafly with the same (stock) plate, will he be faster b/c of the dplate/freeflow? If so, that's gonna have to be my next mod!

I missed it in my profile/comments; I'm also running Riva sponsons in the 'down' position.

Just want to ride.
    +1
    I've been wondering about the play in the trim nozzle, as well. My ski has the trim cables installed backward from the dealer! I've never changed them over because it actually made more sense to me to have the lever go up to trim up, and down to trim down, but now I wonder if there's a cable length issue that would change the angle of the nozzle?

I'll have to check that out tonight!

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    The D-plate and freeflow will actually slow you down. I can't argue against the D-plate, since the cat will eventually fail, but the free flow is nothing more than a noise maker. Run with the stock sound suppression in and enjoy the quieter ride and few additional RPMs.

It sounds like you're faster than him, just don't have as good of hook-up. Stepping the sponsons has been mentioned, and if you haven't already should be done ASAP. Also, before switching back to the stock ride plate I'd get some stainless steel 6MM washers and shim down the trim tabs. Putting one or two washers on each trim tab bolt will make a big difference in how your ski handles in rough conditions. Since you have the Riva tabs just be careful that the tabs aren't pushing out on the sponsons once they're shimmed. If they are you can remove material from the outside edge of hte trim tabs to make them fit better.

Just want to ride.
    +1
    Thanks smackwave,

I've got the Riva sponsons on now, in the down position. Would you recommend stock stepped instead? Also, someone mentioned to me that washers under the rear bolts on the plate might help as well - has anyone else tried this with a Riva plate? If I shim the plate, should it be the same as the tabs?

I think I've got some testing/riding to do!

Thanks,
    Sean

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    The Riva sonsons are better for handling, but for helping with porpoising the stock sponsons stepped are better. Stick with shimming the trim tabs instead of reducing the angle on the Riva plate, I think you'll be happy with the results.

+1
    Last weekend I smoked an RXP in the chop using

0 degree Riva pro series pump nozzle
    protec steering nozzle
    stock plate
    single bar grate
    R&D trim tabs 2 washers under all 8 bolts
    R Pot carbon fiber sponsons (only because they look trick)
    Skat swirl impeller with 05 pump

With this set-up ski tops out at 65 - but it gets there in a hurry and is absolutely rock solid in the rough stuff - with this Neutral set-up the handling is absolutely amazing (2-3 foot cross chop ski is rock solid)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information