Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

951 carby cleaning

Hi all,

Doing the fuel lines and giving the carby's a clean tomorrow on the 99 xpl.

Can someone please run me through the carby cleaning side of things?

cheeers

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Read the sticky thread above...DIY Carb Cleaning.

guessing this is what the go is from fuel system cleaning your post mate:

I just did my cousin's 96 XP this weekend so I'll add why it's fresh in my mind.

Get a large can of carb cleaner. I used this to clean the internal filter screens...it can clean one in about 30 seconds.

Here's detail tricks on the carbs: Remove the cover, diaphram, and check valve block over the jets. Spray carb cleaner into the pilot jet, with the tube connected on the carb cleaner can. Look into the carb throat, and you'll see three microscopic holes and one larger one off to the right that has carb cleaner coming out when you spray. After spraying initially, get someone else to slip their finger over the large hole to increase pressure to the three small holes. You will actually see the streams getting larger as the cleaner cleans out the varnish in the holes. This step is critical, if you want to have crisp throttle response on the bottom end.

Spray carb cleaner into the main jet too, but don't look into the carb while doing it unless you want it in your eyes!

Make sure you spray carb cleaner through the hose barbs, in and out. Remove the needles to get good flow through the inlet barbs.

Synchronize your carbs! 90% of the time one butterfly opens more than the other, reducing performance, max rpms, throttle response, and fuel efficiency. Use a flashlight, and lay an inspection mirror in the carb throat. Open the throttle wide open, and visually line it up with the atomizer. Then check the other butterfly the same way. Zip-tying the throttle to the grip keeping it wide open makes it easier. Use 2-8mm open-end wrenches to break loose the locknuts on the coupler between the carbs and rotate accordingly to get the butterflies the same position.

RQ

Yes, there a little difference in 951 carbs though. Disassemble the accelerator the pump and do the same spraying through the small orifices.
    And pay attention to the pics the others have posted on the selector switch.

is the acelerator pump on the carbies?

What im gonna do is do the fuel lines first with the carbies installed the pull them out and pull it all appart and spray carb cleaner at everything that i can sound good?

As for the selector switch do u just me remove it and clean it and make sure if flows fully at each position? thats what i was gonna do anyway?

Yes to all three questions.

ok so today i got down to work.....

Removed and replaced all fuel lines, they were the stock grey "tempo" lines but their was no gunk or hard spots on them. All the clamps were allready screw ss hose clamps which was a plesent supprise !

The fuel selector was gunk free aswell.

I didnt replace the breather lines as i didnt seem it was worth it.

The carbies are off and now sitting on the bench in the shed. They look alot more daunting than I was expecting. A cleaning guide with pictures and step by step instructions would be sweet if any one knows of one?

If not where do i start!! Tempted to post up a pic of them so people can go to town on them with paint labeling whats what ect and what to do 1st.....

thanks in advance,

chris

+1
    Carbys exploded view
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for that surfnturf.

Should i just split the two carbies and start undoing shit and stripping it all down spray it all and re assemble?

+1
    Aren't you in Australia ?? if so i would recommend you send them to les at Seadoo centre in Melbourne I think he goes through them for $150 and jets them correctly.No one knows better than les.
    You can seperate the two for starters with the top 4 screws and then remove the hoses and throttle coupler.
    Do only one at a time (if its your virgin experience) because its easy to forget how they go back together .
    Pay close attention to the pump check valves #4 and #14 on the exploded view as they can cause problems later if not sealing well. Just go through slowly and place all the parts on a tray so as not to loose any. Make sure the accelerator pump is working in both carbs .

Look here for more info http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27314

will check back later got a hot dinner date with a nice girl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information