The $25 starter solenoid question...

1996 SeaDoo GTI. The starter engages the instant I try and hook up a battery. Ohms checked and trouble is not in the starter button switch. The electrical box is spotlessly clean with no signs of water. I then pulled the starter solenoid out and Ohms checked it. Appears to be an open circuit when power not applied.

What else to check? Or should I go ahead and spend $25 on a new solenoid and hope that solves the problem?

did you check the switch opened and closed?

Yes... starter switch unplugs going into electrical box. With it unplug it is a normally open circuit. With red button pressed it is a closed circuit.

The problem appears to be somewhere else. I'm thinking solenoid, but visual inspection and quick Ohms check of the sonenoid sure looks O.K. Just not wanting to drop $25 and "hope" that it fixes the problem.

+1
    I had the same problem last year w/ a 96 GTX. Replacing the solenoid had no effect-- my machine's problem was in the mpem. Good luck.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Did you unplug the coil on the solenoid and then hook up the battery to confirm the solenoid was indeed opening?

If so, I agree with Jim that it's MPEM time.

I'm also assuming that you are not installing the lanyard and no touching of the start button, and touching the cable to the battery post produces immediate starter engagement?

yeah i would check the mpem see if the 5 amp fuse is blown. im having he same problem but one i attach the battery the fuse blows.

im gonna have to get my mpem repaired but it seems like you might just have a short some where in the starting system b.c you said the starter is engaging when you connect the battery

"Did you unplug the coil on the solenoid and then hook up the battery to confirm the solenoid was indeed opening?"

I thought the solenoid is supposed to be normally open? Correct? It only closes when power is applied so that the starter becomes part of the loop. I did unplug the coil and even took the solenoid completly out of the gray electrical box. I just ohms checked across the solenoids two posts and it was an open circuit. It is definitely closing when power is applied because the starter engages.

Am I missing what you're trying to tell me to check?

"I'm also assuming that you are not installing the lanyard and no touching of the start button, and touching the cable to the battery post produces immediate starter engagement?"

Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I had the same problem last year w/ a 96 GTX. Replacing the solenoid had no effect-- my machine's problem was in the mpem. Good luck.

Solved: I finally got through rebuilding the top end on this ski so it was time to explore the "instant starter" problem. Luckily I own two of these 1996 GTI's so I swapped the MPEM in the skis just to see if the problem moved to the other machine. Like you guys said... IT DID! So, for future reference if anyone experiences this problem it will likely be your MPEM.

I've got a WTB ad in the classifieds. Now looking for an MPEM with numbers 278-000-822 or 278-001-134. Either one will work in this machine. (PM me if you have one for sale at a fair price.) I'm hesitant to have this broken one worked and would rather just replace it with a known good one.

Thread Information