Thread: Porpoising XLL

+1

Porpoising XLL

My Xll has a out of the box R&D ride plate and intake grate and I have noticed that since installing them it tends to porpoise more in chop than before... the plate and grate has not been shimmed or sealed... I have stock sponsons on it for now but my Riva sponsons just arrived and will be installed soon. Any recommendations on helping fix the porpoising? Should I shim the ride plate? if so how much? What should it be even with? Sorry if these seem to be basic questions but I simply don't know the answer! Thanks

Put the sponsons on first then see if it is still porpoising, After you try that and still have it you can shim the rear of the plate you can start trying around a 30 thousand washer if it takes away the porpoise and you find you have lost a little to much speed try less thousands in the rear. If you still are porpoising after a 30 thousands shim you can keep going up in thousands (Increase)till porpoise goes away.If you have scrubed to much speed get back on the forum here let us know where your at and we can take it from there

Yellow 93, Throw the R&D ride plate away, everything else you have is good. I use a stock plate cut shorter at the rear by a section of webbing, and also with the 4 mount pylons docked 3mm each. REXA.

Quote Originally Posted by rexa
    Yellow 93, Throw the R&D ride plate away, everything else you have is good. I use a stock plate cut shorter at the rear by a section of webbing, and also with the 4 mount pylons docked 3mm each. REXA.
    rexa, have you tried back to back runs with these plates? are you saying the stock plate "angled" is faster or helps from porpoising over the R&D?

For more choopy conditions the stocker will do better if thats all you want it for(ruff riding) If you do all around riding and want the best speed possible you need to stick with your current set up

+1
    I only ride on lakes so chop isn't a major issue, just want to take care of some porpoising if possible. I care more about all around riding and top speed... thanks for the suggestion though.

I am saying that a stock plate, and a modified stock plate DO NOT porpoise at all on xll (same as xl1200ltd), and we all know that porpoising watercraft lose drive and go slower. Trust me, do as I say, problem solved. REXA.

I have had the R&D combo now for 4 years and never had a problem with porposing! Before you go cutting and hacking things make sure the plate isn't hanging below the pump shoe. I do not know which year ski you have but from 2001 and on the stock sponson are actually ok. The new ones you just bought are NOT going to help in porposing. The are for more of the side to side chine walking and turning abilities. If you look when the ski is going full bore the sponson barelytouch the water.
    If all is well with the plate and shoe, before you go nuts, swap out the intake grate first and see what that does if problem isnt solved put it back on and then change the plate and see what happens and work from there. I have the exact combo you have and it has brought me nothing but more speed and stability. I am not trying to go againts what other people are telling you to do, I am sure their combos worked for them. Just take one thing at a time and work from there. I have a funny feeling something isnt aligned properly! Is the shoe hanging down also? Another thing to check. One more thing I ride in smooth and 2 foot chop and it works great in all!
    Hope this helps

Thread Information