Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Carb Gurus Please Help

2001 GP1200R 53 hours. Installed Pro Rec Head (150 psi) and Carl's rejet kit. Standard jets, needles and seats, for rec head removed accel pump. Was (what I thought to be) very meticulous about the whole job. Ski wouldn't start. Got advise to put a fuel primer bulb inline to pack the carbs. Now it runs til the fuel I have hand primed runs out. Curiously there is no "hiss" when removing the gas cap, sealed system and all. Any thoughts as to what I may have screwed up? I asked Carl if I would need to check the pop off before starting the job, he said it would be alright.

+1
    I think you might have installed the rubber fuel pumps upside down. If you did they wont pump any fuel.

When we took the first carb apart forgot to look which way the rubber diaphram, over top the jets, needles and seats, went. When we took the second one apart kept track and put them all back in the same way. Still mighta screwed it up thou. There was a groove that the ridge around the outside edge of the diaphram fit in.
    Is this the most likely thing I messed up?

+1
    There is a metal ring on the diaphram with a little nipple on it. You want that ring and nipple facing to the inside of the carb not the outside.

The other thing is it could take a while to get the carbs primed. Do this. Take all three plugs out. Hold the throttle wide open and start cranking it over. Do this for 5 or six times reinstall the plugs choke it and I bet she fires right up.

OK, took everything back off, flipped the diaphrams. They are now with the small "tit" toward the jets. Still no go. Got spark, poured a little fuel into the spark plug holes, fired right up and quit as soon as the fuel was gone.
    Excuse me while I go eat a bullet now. I can't believe this stuff. I had a perfectly good 72 mph ski and ruined it. Anybody got any thoughts?

+1
    Is the fuel system "packed" ?

Has the flapper been removed from the bottom of the sending unit ?

Are there any kinks in the supply line ?

Do you see fuel in your fuel filter ?

Did you make sure the supply/return lines are not mixed on top of the fuel sending unit ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego-RXP
    The other thing is it could take a while to get the carbs primed. Do this. Take all three plugs out. Hold the throttle wide open and start cranking it over. Do this for 5 or six times reinstall the plugs choke it and I bet she fires right up.

First tried turning it over without the plugs in with the throttle wide open. Did this for a while, smelled gas but none came out of the plug holes. Put the plugs in, no go.
    Still had the primer bulb inline from the first go round. Pumped and pumped and pumped. No go.
    Went back and forth between these two methods, no go. That's when I tried dumping a little fuel in the plug holes as previously described. The fuel filter is about half full of fuel. Emptied it out when I took off the primer bulb. Thought maybe the primer bulb was the problem. So it seems like the carbs are drawing fuel. Fuel gushed from the carb side of the filter when I took the bulb off. Maybe something on the return side?
    There are no kinks in either the fuel or return lines. The fuel line is longer goes to the rear carb comes off of the fuel filter (already been replaced). The return line comes off the most forward carb and goes into the top of the gas tank. Didn't touch the fuel and return lines on top of the sending unit.
    Didn't remove the flapper on the bottom of the sending unit.
    There is no hiss when I remove the gas cap. There should be, right? Does that mean anything?

+1
    do you still have the fuel selector knob in place ?

If so, bypass it and go directly from the tank to the carb......

Here is a pic of Mark's flapper door

I thought of that too. I tried pumping the primer bulb with the selector on and also off. I listened in the tank with the gas cap off. I could hear a difference.
    I'm thinking it's gotta be something on the return side. With the carbs drawing fuel up into the fuel filter and the gas gushing out of the supply line when I took out the primer bulb.
    Is the flapper on all lines? Supply and return?
    What about the system not being pressurized when I take off the gas cap? Does that mean anything?
    I do have the diaphrams in the right way now don't I? Just the nipple toward the jet side with a metal framework on the backside facing the cover.
    I guess I'll try bypassing the selector and see if anything happens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information