Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Drive Shaft Strength

Gusy need honest answer here how strong is the drive shaft area in these conversion skis i want to enter my ski in an endurance race 35min rounds and the area we are riding is rough and i mean its rough.

Also how strong are the hulls since the mid wall has been removed.

Maybe someone like Joe will have answer i think he has raced his conversion if i am right.

Moderated
    Mike

that's a very good as well as very important unanswered question regarding these conversions and is one of 3 main reasons why I am personally hesitating on procuring one.

I am most interested in the answers this particular question gets

Quote Originally Posted by Mik72e View Post
    Gusy need honest answer here how strong is the drive shaft area in these conversion skis i want to enter my ski in an endurance race 35min rounds and the area we are riding is rough and i mean its rough.

Also how strong are the hulls since the mid wall has been removed.

Maybe someone like Joe will have answer i think he has raced his conversion if i am right.

Only 1 way to find out. Enter it, and PIN IT!

I think you have some valid questions. Will lightned drive shafts hold up under rough conditions? Hull strength is a BIG deal when your doing 64+ in som rough water! Much different than flat water 600 feet racing!

+1
    The midwall in a gpr isn't structural. It attaches to the inner liner.

Ted's driveshaft has a couple hundred hours on a few different boats now. It should do just fine. Grease your pump driveshaft going into your mid-shaft before hand. It will last for 30-50hours. Grease your bearing housing with a few squirts.

Your supercharger clutch is what will fail you. Have it rebuilt JUST before the race. Don't "practice" with this boat.

Have the hull setup TIGHT, to keep the engine loaded to give the clutch a chance. 35min isn't very long, but rough, is ROUGH, and this is what eats up things. Stock rideplate, tabs in lower position, and a good loaded grate. If you have a 3deg nozzle off a XLT1200, I highly recommend it to reduce your pump wedge effect.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    Only 1 way to find out. Enter it, and PIN IT!

I think you have some valid questions. Will lightned drive shafts hold up under rough conditions? Hull strength is a BIG deal when your doing 64+ in som rough water! Much different than flat water 600 feet racing!
    Don t worry i won t be babying it its there to be used i say. See how it holds up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    The midwall in a gpr isn't structural. It attaches to the inner liner.

Ted's driveshaft has a couple hundred hours on a few different boats now. It should do just fine. Grease your pump driveshaft going into your mid-shaft before hand. It will last for 30-50hours. Grease your bearing housing with a few squirts.

Your supercharger clutch is what will fail you. Have it rebuilt JUST before the race. Don't "practice" with this boat.

Have the hull setup TIGHT, to keep the engine loaded to give the clutch a chance. 35min isn't very long, but rough, is ROUGH, and this is what eats up things. Stock rideplate, tabs in lower position, and a good loaded grate. If you have a 3deg nozzle off a XLT1200, I highly recommend it to reduce your pump wedge effect.
    Mark totally agree with you Teds shaft have done plenty of hours on then i was more concern about the strenght in rough water constant and racing it.

Set will be Shred plate have to see if it fits i am running a seadoo pump riva ext tabs shimmed .150 single bar grate and NO pump wedges.

+1
    It's a RXP driveshaft with internal splines. Not a lot to go wrong.

HOWEVER,
    The SD adapter uses a shaft and another adaptor to transfer power to the prop. I would be worried about that part of the power delivery system... AND if the driveshaft "walks" forwards and backwards by not being captured by the pump, I have no idea how that will eventually wear in an endurance situation.

Talk to Duke. I think he has a better solution for a SD adaptor driveshaft, but if it still is free floating, then I have no idea.

Personally I think you will be the one to find out first.

+1
    Mark i see you point i ll have to run with what i ve got see how it all goes.

It makes a feel of difference when you run the ski in endurance races see what there made off. We all can do a few speed runs like i say.

+1
    That's all I used to do was endurance racing... but that was a while ago.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I doubt you'll have a problem. Joes boat is holding up fine, as far as I know, and there have not been any reports of any hulls or driveshafts failing either. The seadoo pump adapter may be the weak link as Mark said. I have heard of the spline adapter wearing out, but that was with mega HP ski's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information