Quick question about battery and ECU...

So I'm going up to the lake Thurs night. Last time I rode was the last weekend in December. Disconnected the batteries before I left. What are the chances when I put the new batteries in Thursday night and hook everything up I get "SENSOR" on the display because the computer forgot what kind of ski it is?

+1
    50/50 lol..

Had Reg's RXP here a while ago, hadn't been run in over a year and a half... Luckily, she remembered her name..

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    So I'm going up to the lake Thurs night. Last time I rode was the last weekend in December. Disconnected the batteries before I left. What are the chances when I put the new batteries in Thursday night and hook everything up I get "SENSOR" on the display because the computer forgot what kind of ski it is?

Yeah it's a 50/50. I wouldn't disconnect the batttery ever!! When not in use hook it up to a battery tender and forget about it!!

Well I installed new batteries in both skis at 3am when I got here. They both remembered their names.

+1
    Can someone elaborate on this because I take my battery out for winter storage every year and this year when I charged and put in the oem battery from my 2006 GTX Limited and when I attatched the lanyard and hit the start button it would just click engine would not turn over. Sensor came up on the guage only once then went away but still would not start. Last year I noticed when I would start her up the guage would say 12 volt low but would then go away. I already ordered a new battery waiting for it to come and install to see if its that. Any thought on this could it be the battery since it is the original battery from 2006. Thanks for any and all replies.

Mark G.

No, not at all, the ECU is hard written at programming... unless it has a fault.

You may find things come up because of time un-used more than anything, and that this has found weak sensors or calibrations that just were not bad enough to register.

I have never known an ECU forget anything unless someone forgot to "Save the changes" before powering off.

Seen another yesterday morning, he forgot to save settings and changes to his motec, then wondered why it all had gone default again... only he was in the water at competition..!! Ah, if only there were pro's doing this, and not ham handed guess-sperts trying their hand at new things, and blaming the tools, not themselves.

In Short, unless it had not been saved at chages time, the ECU will remember when all is saved/written to memory.

Maybe you do have a sensor problem that has now shown itself after not being uses for a while, nothing else..but at least you now know about it.

I regularly power mine off altogether, and never seen a problem yet.... unless it does go faulty on the e2m chip-set.

Un-connect if storing for sure, as the little bit of moisture near/on a connector will not get a whole heap of time to corrode/erode the connection away.

How do you thing the 'Doos are stored... not with power shall we say. You most likely do have a fault, what is the code?

Joe

KABOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Yeah it's a 50/50. I wouldn't disconnect the batttery ever!! When not in use hook it up to a battery tender and forget about it!!

Alex - Do you leave the tender in the hull or the foothold and anyone ever had one of these go KABOOM this way?

Joe

I take my battery out in October when winterizing and put it back in fully charged in April. My ski starts right up no problems/codes or faults. My buddy does his the same way. No problems with his either. I have an07 RXT and he has an 07 RXP.
    Dave

Joe
    Thanks!

What about during season, does anyone leave battery in hull while on charger?

errr.....nevermind, I read more carefully, "I wouldn't disconnect the batttery ever!! When not in use hook it up to a battery tender and forget about it!!" IF YOU ARE NOT DISCONNECTING YOU MUST BE LEAVING IT IN THE HULL!!!!!!!!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DSmith1178 View Post
    I take my battery out in October when winterizing and put it back in fully charged in April. My ski starts right up no problems/codes or faults. My buddy does his the same way. No problems with his either. I have an07 RXT and he has an 07 RXP.
    Dave
    Last edited by OneEyedHito; 05-24-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: DOH!

Thread Information