Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 96 slt 780

96 slt 780

Got 2 96 SLT 780's today. They need some major cleaning, as they were sitting on the ground in the front yard, with no cover. The engine bays look much nicer than I expected from the outside condition of the skis. I have a 750SL that I've put an OP ride plate on, but the chop here near the ocean can still be really tuff to ride in. I saw a custom plate that had 2 stock sl plates welded together, so that's another idea.

Back to the SLT's (which should handle the chop much better), the owner said he jumped a wave and then it started bogging, so he went back to shore. I just got them home, so I need to charge the battery and check the compression. He said the other SLT had been bored over, so it was faster. He said it also had a bogging issue. I've rebuilt the carbs on my 750SL, so that would be my first guess as to where to start. Of course, I wouldn't have known without asking the forum members here.

SO any ideas on other places to start for a bogging issue? I'll check the compression and post the results. These carbs look a little different than the 750SL's, but then again I really haven't had a chance to look. It seems these skis were for me, as I made a wrong turn leaving a friend’s house and saw them sitting in a neighbor’s front yard. I didn't have the money at the time and wasn't even going to call, but I did anyway and the price was so great I couldn't refuse.

I graduated!!!! Finally!!! With an Associate in Science, computer networking services, so I used the little bit of the money I received for graduation to pick these up. I only have 2 math classes and 1 science to finish my Associate in Arts. These ski's will be projects, as I just barely had the money to get these.... but like I said, things lined up just right and it seems they were put there for me!!! My birthday is this Friday, so maybe I'll get some more funds toward this project. Things will line up again for me to find a job, related to my degree, and things will be much easier than they are now. I know the economy is tuff everywhere and I have faith that a job will line up for me, just as these ski's lined up for me.

Thanks, to all the forum members, for ALL the support you guys have given me with getting my 750SL running. I'll go ahead and thank you for the support I'll get for these 780SLT. Hats off to this forum and the members that make it what it is.... THE GREEN HULK! I think I'll have to name one of these skis after this forum.... If nothing else, it will be free advertising and getting the word out about the Forum. I will provide my testimony, as to the great support and members of this forum.

I'll post pics as soon as I can. I don't even have a trailer for these guys, but things will line up again when the time is right....

Pics & update

The ski that was said to be bored over, seems to have run lean as they are black all the way across and have detonated, leaving large chunks missing from the piston heads. Looks like craters on the moon! If I'm lucky, the pieces went out the exhaust ports. I did a little searching around and it looks like I will have to tear this motor down and check to make sure there are no pieces in the cases. Is that correct???

The second ski - was said to have a bogging issue that showed up just after he jumped a wave, and he then rode it back to shore. I thought this would just be a carb/fuel issue. There is some oil in the bottom of the haul and when I pulled the plugs, I could see oil sitting on the piston heads. I pulled the rear head and there was oil all over. I wiped it down and turned the motor over. Just as the piston starts to rise, from the lowest position, oil squirts across the piston head from the cylinder side walls.... Right to left. What's this about???

I knew these were going to be projects. I just wish he could have been honest, as the compression showed over 200 and I doubt he rode it back to shore. Either way, I have my projects now and am satisfied with the sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLT oil.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	133400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLT motor pics.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	133401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLT oil 2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	133402  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    First ski, should be thoroughly inspected. But if there's no damage below the rings, I doubt there's any metal below.

Try spinning the crank by hand and see if it feels gritty or makes odd noises.

It's up to you how far you want to get into it.

Second ski sounds like it's full of oil. Try opening the drain plugs on the lower part of the case below the exhaust manifold.

Thanks Xlint for the advice. I spoke with Keyzbum earlier about this ski and he thinks the oil is pumping into the cases as though it's running at WOT. Is there a cable that controls that on the SLT?? I'll have to look around for the manual for the 96 SLT.

Before I try the drain plugs, I'm going to tip the ski on it's side and put a towel over the spark plug holes while I crank the heck out of the motor (just like if the cases were full of water... If I use the drain plugs Xlint, how will I know if I drain out too much oil from the cases??

Possibly the device that regualtes the amount of oil is stuck open??? sending in as much oil as if it were WOT??? Any other ideas on why these cases would be over filled with oil?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    These 2-stroke engines normally only have a thin film of oil inside the crank case, not a liquid reservoir of oil like a four stroke car engine.

The drain plugs can be difficult to get to. They are shown in these photos, without the exhaust pipes in place.

Sometimes folks can over do it with the winterization, and pour in way more oil than is needed to protect the engine.

Normally, fogging oil is sprayed into the engine air intake. Then the engine is shut down, and a little more oil is sprayed into the spark plug holes. A few ounces of oil, all told.

Name:	Polaris Fuji engine crank case drain bolt - PTO (serial number visible).JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	134470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris Fuji engine crank case drain bolt - CEN.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	134471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris Fuji engine crank case drain bolt - MAG.JPG 
Views:	478 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	134472  
    Last edited by K447; 06-04-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Trailer

Got a call that they saw a tiny, single jetski trailer, frame at the road front, put out for trash pickup. No rims or tires, but I went and picked it up. The axle is rusted and it uses those tiny tires, rated for 55mph. I'll have to get another axle and get the bigger rims and tires for it. I"ll cut off the fenders, as I would like to have a trailer worthy of highway travel.

That will hold my 95 SL ski nicely. Then I can convert the current john boat trailer the SL rides on, to fit the three seater. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Time and patience will make this project work!

Anyone got pictures of a setup for a 3 or 4 ski trailer?

Oil

I have a 750SL with a busted crank and case. There is quite a bit of oil in the bottom of these cases, enough that the crank takes a bath in it as it turns. It seems like the lower half of the case acts as a reservoir. I thought these Fuji 750 motors were supposed to have a good bit of oil in the bottom of the cases??

+1
    There should be no oil or fuel pooling inside the cases.

Pics

I took 2 pictures of the SL with the broken cases. I used a section of fuel line as a dip stick and held it next the the handle for reference. So this much oil isn't supposed to be in the cases of my SL either????

Name:	100_0942.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	134956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0943.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	134957  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris 750SL View Post
    I took 2 pictures of the SL with the broken cases. I used a section of fuel line as a dip stick and held it next the the handle for reference. So this much oil isn't supposed to be in the cases of my SL either????
    No oil or gas should be pooling inside the case.

If that much oil were to be left in there, you could A: foul your plugs or B: possibly hydrolock the crank

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information