Unhappy I got BAD FUEL!!!

So when I was on the water last weekend, I stopped at a marina and got $20 of fuel added to my tank...BAD IDEA...what I paid for was FUEL, what I GOT was WATER!!!

So I spent time siphoning my tank dry, (and btw, that "fuel" didn't even SMELL like fuel! ) and added a couple of gallons of 92-octane.

I eventually got the engine to crank, but very intermittently and not for very long.

I have a fuel filter on order to change that at least, but can anyone tell me what is the best way to get my ski back to normal? Fuel dry? Keep crankin' it daily to push any residual bad fuel throught the lines? Change the lines? I'm kinda in the dark here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YAMAHottie View Post
    So when I was on the water last weekend, I stopped at a marina and got $20 of fuel added to my tank...BAD IDEA...what I paid for was FUEL, what I GOT was WATER!!!

So I spent time siphoning my tank dry, (and btw, that "fuel" didn't even SMELL like fuel! ) and added a couple of gallons of 92-octane.

I eventually got the engine to crank, but very intermittently and not for very long.

I have a fuel filter on order to change that at least, but can anyone tell me what is the best way to get my ski back to normal? Fuel dry? Keep crankin' it daily to push any residual bad fuel throught the lines? Change the lines? I'm kinda in the dark here.

Drain out your tank completely... Spray lots of fogging fluid in the cylinders and carbs/throttle bodies... crank it without plugs and a rag over the holes... spray more fogging fluid in, change fuel filter, put in new plugs... fire it up.. ride it and get it hot... good luck...

Red face

Muchas Gracias! Looks like I got a few more things to add to my list of things to do before the weekend! Aaarrrggghhh!!!

+1
    Up north we use something called "heet" for gas. It is a water remover. I believe it is mostly methanol (not ethanol) and will bind with the gas to allow it to pass thru the motor without damaging things.
    it is made by goldeagle.com

Thank You! I'll check around here in the south for the "heet"

+1
    Fuel filter ain't going to do squat for you if you have water in the fuel. You need to go to the front of the ski, up under the little hood. Take the bucket out, pull the black cap off the fuel tank, drain the fuel out completely. You'll have to siphon it out. There will probably be some at the bottom of the tank that you can't get to, just leave the cap off for a few days and it will evaporate, with the heat here in Charleston you shouldn't have that problem (I know its been cold the past few days). Also, shut the fuel valve system off, pull the plugs and turn over the motor periodically to flush the fuel out of the lines and carbs. Spray fogging oil as well. Probably have to do that for a good while.
    In the future, try not to buy gas on the water if you don't have to. I just fixed that ski for you so you better treat that thing right. Water + Pistons/cylinders/head = don't mix and you can damage the motor.
    You know you can call me if you have any questions.
    SHOOTER

Thread Information