Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Top end running funny

Hey guys, I just had my XP out today. I was out wave jumping...not really wave jumping, more like chop jumping lol...anyways, after about an hour and a half of that I got tired so I went back in to the inland lake. The inland lake was smoother so I could go faster, and I first had it at a steady 3/4ths throttle or so and it was running just great, so I hammered it. I could hear that something wasnt right so I let off a bit, then went WOT again and stayed on it for a bit to try figure it out, but then it slowly was dropping RPM's so I let off it again. Anyone have any idea what my problem is? Mike rebuilt my carbs and I got new fuel lines, the same ones he uses, so im assuming that it isnt that, but I could be wrong...

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Sounds like Mike forgot to tighten a clamp...lol

what should I look for in the engine? anything?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hmm...I don't know. Ask Mike what he did! And...tell him next time to hit the beer AFTER he finishes...LOL

well he said he would tune it sometime, he just has bad luck with his ski and never has time to go ride

could this be my wear ring? Is there anyway I can check w/out taking my whole pump off?

+1
    take a flash light and shine it into the intake, then look through the nozzle. you should be able to see light between the impeller and wear ring. if you see alot of light you need to take the pump off and inspect it closer. the tighter the better....lets keep this PG rated guys.

pulling the pump is only six bolts. one for the steering cable, one for vts, and four nuts for the pump. then just pull like hell.

OK, so if I see a little light through the pump thats good, but there shouldnt be a lot correct?

(the tighter the better )

+1
    no light = good
    less light = ok
    more light = bad

use your good judgment. if it looks like the gap is big enough to fit a dime through to the other side. you need to take a closer look. if not you are probably ok.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    Thanks Robert but for insurance issues i drink after the rebuilds lol PUNK!!

On Phils 96xp i noticed when he first brought it over that the front mag cover plug was just hanging outside the cover and there was evidence of water in the hull. I tried to put it back in but i think that the plastic holder is broke or something. I told him the only good way to get in there is to pull the motor and clean everything up in there. But for now he needed to silicone it up to prevent water from entering the stator cover. When i did my first rebuild 2 1/2 years ago on my 96xp i had the same problem where the front plug was outside the holder and when i took the mag cover off water came out and i had rust all over the stator,trigger pickup,flywheel and my starter was replaced since water made its way in there also. My boat prior to that was acting like it was missing on wot throttle and i would let off the throttle a lil bit and baby it and it would clear, and this didn't happen all the time.

I bought a new stator and pick up trigger and cleaned all the rust on the magnets on the flywheel and my boat before the spec 2 ran awesome with my rossier pipe setup.

That's my thoughts.

Mike aka "shade tree mechanic"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information