Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 SLT 700 running at half speed

Hey gang,

I have a 96 SLT700 all stock and it is only running at about half speed. I adusted the top idle screw a bit and it did seem to run and sound a tiny bit better but didn't get a chance to continue the adjustment as I had to leave the lake. I also noticed it seems like gas is being sprayed around in the engine a bit and i'm not sure if that has anything to do with the Idle adjustment. I put new plugs in and it did foul or wet the front plug but the rear plug was fine.

I looked at the carb intake and it looks very clean..but not sure if that is the case. Anyone know if adusting the idle screws would fix the issue? Or am I looking at a carb issue?

Thanks in advance!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSL700Polaris View Post
    I have a 96 SL700 Polaris 2 cycle PWC that I had purchased at the beginning of this summer [2008] and was running in good condition. Recently I had noticed that it appeared to be running at half power when I layed into the throttle half way in and was only running at about half speed.

I decided to check the spark plugs and noticed that the first cylinder had a fouled spark plug but the other one was fine. So I replaced both spark plugs and took it out to the lake today. It seemed to run much better (about 95% power) for about 25 minutes and then I lost power. It was back down to half speed, but this time it seemed to make a strange noise from the engine..almost like a rattling noise. I took it home and pulled both spark plugs and noticed they both were soaked in oil.

Does anyone know why it would foul the spark plugs like this so much? The gas and oil injections are separate and i'm wondering if it is running too rich at high speed causing the plugs to foul.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    WELCOME TO THE HULK
    can we get a compression check?
    maybe some pics of the plugs--and boat 2
    make sure the oil pump linkage to the carbs is connected--if it pops off the oil pump goes to full oil......just a shot
    welcome ,,have fun and enjoy
    mattman
    Welcome back

Click here for the Polaris service manuals.

If your 13 year old machine has the original ignition system, you may be needing the Ignition System Upgrade Kit. Polaris issued the kits after the original domestic engine ignitions started failing in the field.

If your carburetor(s) have not been cleaned in recent memory, now would be a good time to open them up, and rebuild them. A dirty carb can damage an engine very quickly from lean burn.

As noted above, check that the oil pump linkage is hooked up and working correctly. The service manual tells you how it should be adjusted.

If your engine is not modified, and the carbs are clean inside, then the factory carb settings should be very close to correct. If you need to open the screws way up to make the engine run better, there is something else wrong.

These high output 2-stroke engines do not tolerate inadequate fuel delivery from the carbs. To avoid engine damage, you must ensure that the fuel system is 100%, especially the carburetors.

Thanks for the prompt reply

I will go ahead and check the linkage today and try to take pictures of the engine as it is in very good shape. I will also take a picture of the carb intake.

I do have someone that will rebuild the carbs for me for about $110. I am considering rebuilding them myself however I have never done this before.

Thanks!

Here are some pictures of the PWC as promised...I'm curious if the carb intake is clean would that mean that the the carb itself should be clean? Or is this not always the case?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01472.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	133131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01475.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	133132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01489.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	133133  

Also would exposing the carb intake, firing up the engine and watching for fuel sputtering into the carb help narrow down the issue?

I've been doing some reasearch and I noticed people mention Seafoam...any one know if this will actually clean my carb and prevent a rebuild?

Oilpump linkage is fine and I decided to add some Seafoam...hopefully I can take it out and test it soon.

+1
    ...if the carb intake is clean would that mean that the the carb itself should be clean? ...
    I've been doing some research and I noticed people mention Seafoam...any one know if this will actually clean my carb and prevent a rebuild?
    Unlike land vehicles, PWC tend to breathe clean air. So the airway through the carbs tends to always look clean.

The problem is that over time, gasoline tends to build up gunk and varnish in the small internal filters and tiny passageways inside the carburetors.

This problem is aggravated by poor winter storage practices, which leaves non-stabilized fuel in the carbs and fuel system for months. The fuel degrades over time.

The only way to really clean them out is to take the carbs apart, clean them thoroughly, including spraying cleaner through the tiny passageways, then put it back together with new parts from a rebuild kit.

SeaFoam and the like don't seem to help with these engines. Doesn't hurt, I suppose, as long as you don't use too much of it, and don't use it all the time.

Keep in mind that all three carbs may not have the same amount of build-up. SeaFoam and such tend to dissolve only some of the stuff in each carb, and it is unlikely the three carbs are going to be equally matched in terms of performance without proper cleaning.

If even one carb is partially clogged, it will affect engien operation, and may even damage (hole) the piston from excessive lean-burn high temperatures.

So it sounds like i'm going to have to learn how to rebuild some carbs then huh? As mentioned in the post above, I do have someone that will rebuild them but I have to take them out and bring them to him...hell I might as well rebuild them myself in that case.

I just need to find a carb kit for it. I wonder if the local parts store will have one.

+1
    ...I might as well rebuild them myself in that case.

I just need to find a carb kit for it...
    I would start with Randy at Watcon, but there are other good sources, and several online parts suppliers. You want genuine Keihin parts, not generic.

You can talk to Randy about having him do the rebuilds, or you can learn how to do it yourself.

Figure out if you have Keihin CDK or CDK II carburetor, and have a look at the rebuild guides here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information