Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bought a 99 Ultra 150 & 00 Gp1200R

So I finally upgraded from my 95 Sea Doo SP after 2 years of owning it. It was depressing getting outran and outperformed. So I found a, what I think was a good deal, pair of ski's.

I was honestly in search of a GP1300R or GP1200R but when I saw the Ultra and GPR for sale for an asking price of $4300, I figured it was worth an email and taking a 30 minute ride.

So taking back and forth with the owner, he was straight forward letting me know that both ski's seats were in bad shape and the Ultra has low compression in cylinder #3.

I get to his house, both ski's overall look really good. No hull damage except the few minor scraps. He said he never beached the ski's and it was obvious. He lived on the water and had some dock rash on the surrounding bumpers, but nothing major. The GPR started right up and it was obvious that it had been fogged (winterized). The GPR checks out and is exactly what I wanted and in the right shape for me. Onto the Ultra.

So I start checking out the Ultra and it looks good. The seat needs to be recovered but overall it's in great shape. The front hood/lid wont open completely. It unlatched but gets stuck about 1/8th of the way up as if something is blocking it. I didn't mess with it and he said he did care about whatever was in the bin. So I start looking around the engine bay and notice the head is a machined looking piece of aluminum. I'm thinking aftermarket of some sort, but I could be completely wrong. Unfortunately the battery being disconnected didn't allow me to check the compression but I will do that this weekend. Anyone have any ideas about the head, maybe some ideas on what could cause low compression in cylinder #3?

Anyways, here are the pictures... wish me luck with them both.

First mod: Replacement covers, oil block off plates, Amsoil and trailer paint touch ups.

That head is a ADA head with interchangable domes. Pull the head and check the pistons. The head uses O-rings so unless the o-rings are bad or stretched out , you won't need and gasket set to put it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
    That head is a ADA head with interchangable domes. Pull the head and check the pistons. The head uses O-rings so unless the o-rings are bad or stretched out , you won't need and gasket set to put it back on.
    Yeah you're right on, it does say ADA on them as it's engraved on the top. I'll do some more research tomorrow on them. If I need to do a piston swap does the whole motor need to come out?

Doesnt have to but makes it much easier. Pulling it is actually pretty fast, I pull them in 20 minutes or so on a single pipe. Be sure to check out the oil lines while you are in there. That is a known killer and may be whats up with #3 on yours

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Doesnt have to but makes it much easier. Pulling it is actually pretty fast, I pull them in 20 minutes or so on a single pipe. Be sure to check out the oil lines while you are in there. That is a known killer and may be whats up with #3 on yours
    Wow, 20 minutes huh. So that means I should be able to do it within an hour not having a clue on what I am doing and what needs to be removed. Any chance there is a link to download the manual for it?

Here is some better day pictures:

Here is a link to the manual http://www.ultra150.yuku.com/topic/2878

If you have to pull it I can give you some tips to make it go much faster

Here is a link to the manual http://www.ultra150.yuku.com/topic/2878

If you have to pull it I can give you some tips to make it go much faster
    Sounds good and thanks for the link. You have any input on the best place to buy a new seat cover? Seems that the going rate is around $100-$120. I'm just going to go ahead and knock both seats out at once.

I have an m line on my 04, There is also jetrim, hydroturf or ap designs which is who did the optional factory seat covers.

I have an m line on my 04, There is also jetrim, hydroturf or ap designs which is who did the optional factory seat covers.
    Yeah I did some searching around and saw that the M Line isnt waterproof as it would go on top of the factory. My factory one is torn and ripped. I looked at AP Design and they are nice, but not exactly cheap. Then again, it's probably great quality.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information