Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

FZR/S Cowling foam piece recall/bulletin

My dealer called me today. Yamaha has released a recall/bulletin for the foam side cowling pieces that are causing the sides to suck in like jerry stated a few weeks back.

I bought my ski at the show in late February and i was the only one to leave that dealer with the ski. I assume yamaha is fixing all the new ones at factory now and the dealers are fixing the stock they have on hand.

Sales must be slow if i was the only one that bought and took delivery of a fzr/s from them between march 1st and may 1st?

The Service guy on phone wasn't 100% sure if they're removing the foam pieces or re-positioning them. I'll drop the ski off to them next week so they can do the 10 hour service at same time.

What do you guys think. Should i just have them remove them?. I mostly river ride. But, i do get out on ocean and wave jump as well.
    Last edited by KamikazeGPR; 05-20-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: .

and i just picked my ski up from its 10 hour service. Guess ill call them tommorow before i install my power filter, intake spacer and exhaust tommorow...

+1
    we were talking about this on a different thread... of course, i forget which but I asked the same thing, if removing the foam in the side cowlings is a bad idea. the response was no, it will not hurt the ski. another question i had was since the foam stops water from entering through the handlebars, wont removing the foam cause water to get in? I took out the foam on my fzr then sprayed water down there with a hose... the results were very encouraging, the water that went down drains out in various places and the seat prevents water from entering into the engine. Also, the way the hull is designed around the side cowlings, it makes it hard for water to pool in there. hope that helps

also, what do you think yamaha is going to say to people that have already removed the foam?? are they still going to take care of us or say we voided the warranty? ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mazy View Post
    we were talking about this on a different thread... of course, i forget which but I asked the same thing, if removing the foam in the side cowlings is a bad idea. the response was no, it will not hurt the ski. another question i had was since the foam stops water from entering through the handlebars, wont removing the foam cause water to get in? I took out the foam on my fzr then sprayed water down there with a hose... the results were very encouraging, the water that went down drains out in various places and the seat prevents water from entering into the engine. Also, the way the hull is designed around the side cowlings, it makes it hard for water to pool in there. hope that helps

also, what do you think yamaha is going to say to people that have already removed the foam?? are they still going to take care of us or say we voided the warranty? ?
    Depends on what Yamaha is going to do. You could always put the foam back in and I doubt they would void a warranty if you cut holes in the cowlings.

+1
    ya, I didnt cut out the side cowlings like others because I am an ocean rider, i just took out the foam.

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    My dealer called me today. Yamaha has released a recall/bulletin for the foam side cowling pieces that are causing the sides to suck in like jerry stated a few weeks back.

I bought my ski at the show in late February and i was the only one to leave that dealer with the ski. I assume yamaha is fixing all the new ones at factory now and the dealers are fixing the stock they have on hand.

Sales must be slow if i was the only one that bought and took delivery of a fzr/s from them between march 1st and may 1st?

The Service guy on phone wasn't 100% sure if they're removing the foam pieces or re-positioning them. I'll drop the ski off to them next week so they can do the 10 hour service at same time.
    What do you guys think. Should i just have them remove them?. I mostly river ride. But, i do get out on ocean and wave jump as well.
    3 weeks ago I was told about this problem (by my dealer) after I was tossed, I took my FZS to be check and he said that mine does'nt have the problem. I don't know what he meant but tomorrow i will talk to him to see why mine is not iincluded even knowing that I got tossed. This is telling me that the problem is a little more complcated than the foam pieces

Quote Originally Posted by pituco View Post
    3 weeks ago I was told about this problem (by my dealer) after I was tossed, I took my FZS to be check and he said that mine does'nt have the problem. I don't know what he meant but tomorrow i will talk to him to see why mine is not iincluded even knowing that I got tossed. This is telling me that the problem is a little more complcated than the foam pieces
    You get "tossed" because your jet pump was over stuffed. To fix it, buy an aftermarket grate from R&D or Riva.

Removing the foam allows more air to enter the engine compartment.

They are separate issues.

Quote Originally Posted by krenzema View Post
    You get "tossed" because your jet pump was over stuffed. To fix it, buy an aftermarket grate from R&D or Riva.

Removing the foam allows more air to enter the engine compartment.

They are separate issues.
    ThanKs for the advise, I already installed R&D grate. I fell more confortable now.

finally got this call from the dealer and im thinking about just removing it myself.

any thoughts

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by camaudio View Post
    finally got this call from the dealer and im thinking about just removing it myself.

any thoughts
    Is that all they are doing is removing it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information