Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

98 XPL slow top end

Hi Guys,
    Just bought a used XP and it seems to run slow on the top end, I'm only getting about 45-46 mph on the speedo. Which I think is pretty slow for an XP. My friend has the same exact ski and it's pretty fast (low 60's stock). My ski feels nothing like his on the water, none of the pull and speed. I runs well, if I hadn't ridden other Xps Id think it was fine. My compressions about 130 in each cyl. Couple Seadoo guys on the dock looked it over and said my low settings on the carbs where way too far out and adjusted them. They also pulled out one of the RAVE valves and it was filthly and sticking. So I'll clean them out tomorrow. Other than that what else should I go over? Kinda bummed, I wanna get this ski running like I know it can!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by mdb8113; 05-20-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi mate,

Im in the same boat as you are (just purchased a 2nd hand 99xpl) Im not sure how fast its going as the times ive been out spedo hasnt been working but it is now

Things ive done being the new owner for piece of mind :

• Compression test
    • New wear ring
    • Replace all fuel lines and ditch inline filter
    • Pull apart and clean carbies (yet to do this got them off though )
    • New set of plugs
    • Clean rave valves

cant wait to get out on the water again!

+1
    it would help to know what kind of rpms are you getting. could be the raves, could be a bad wear ring or impeller. is it cavitating when you take off? (high revving but going nowhere)

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    it would help to know what kind of rpms are you getting. could be the raves, could be a bad wear ring or impeller. is it cavitating when you take off? (high revving but going nowhere)
    +1

Speedos are unreliable, as they can vary greatly by just a piece of trash on the spinner/pickup.

Max rpms is what you need to tell us. It should be in the 6900+ range.

And welcome to GH!

+1
    Also it would help to know what year XP you have.

Lets see, the ski is a 98 xp limited. Last night I was running maybe 6000 rpms. The speedo is wrong from the factory i know, but by seat of the pants it feels slow. My buddys really pulls hard out of the hole and continues to pull hard all the way to top end. His speedo gets close to 70.
    It revs hard from dead stop, put picks up quickly. I was kinda choppy last night too.
    I checked out the impleller last night and it looks clean, no dings or anything.
    Best pass I made was about 50, just once. It killed the engine a couple times playing with the VTS too,dunno what that means?
    I'm changing the plugs today and cleaning the RAVE valves up. I wanna run another compression check tonight too.
    Someone suggested running hotter plugs, is that a good idea?
    How do I check the wear ring?

By "wear rings" you mean the piston rings correct?

+1
    by wear ring we mean the plastic ring in the pump that encompasses the impellor. you need to pull the pump to properly check that it has no big nicks or gouges missing from it. i believe that the clearance should be less than 1mm (0.040") between the impeller and wear ring. i prefer to have 0.5mm or less clearance.

do not change to a hotter plug. use BR8ES plugs as specified in the owners manual.

at 6000 rpms it sounds like it could be the raves, but more than likely a water leak or exhaust leak in the hull. the most likely area is between the exhaust manifold and upper part of the pipe. this area is known to leak and it could be spraying water into your carbs (only noticible under load). if it is leaking water, then it will also be leaking exhaust into your hull and choking the engine.

Just finished cleaning the raves, they were pretty dirty, a lot of carbon build up. I was going to pull my impeller and change the pump oil this weekend. Can I check the wear ring while doing that?
    Inside the hull is pretty clean, no water to speak of. I didn't even get a drop of water out last night when I pulled it out. How would I check for leaks at the manifold?
    Thanks-

+1
    RAVEs only knock off about 500rpm. It could be a combination of things. A water leak will do this, though but you usually see some kind of water outside too. Not always. The fuel system may need servicing. Does it still have the gray fuel lines?

A bad wear ring will kill speed but not rpm.

You can easily check the clearence from the prop to the wear ring with the pump off the boat. Just use a 1mm feeler guage. If it will go between the prop and the ring anywhere it is worn out. Also look for any places where the ring may be coming apart.

Also note how easy the pump spins. It should be smooth. A bad pump can kill your rpm.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information