Plate to Pump clearance check

Just a little tip on a tool that works very well when fitting your plate to your ski and checking plate to pump clearance. I hated using the piece of paper method.. This extra long feeler gauge, actually made for checking piston clearances, works very well in checking the pump to plate clearance. Not only do you know if it clears, but also by how much. Gauge has feelers from .002-.015
    Ive had mine clear on the old piece of paper method, and still hit one another from flex when ocean riding.
    I put mine at a minimum of .008 for flat water, more for rough water.
    Piece of paper is in the .002-.003 area.
    Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM002055.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	527.2 KB 
ID:	132824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM002056.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	487.1 KB 
ID:	132825  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Just a little tip on a tool that works very well when fitting your plate to your ski and checking plate to pump clearance. I hated using the piece of paper method.. This extra long feeler gauge, actually made for checking piston clearances, works very well in checking the pump to plate clearance. Not only do you know if it clears, but also by how much. Gauge has feelers from .002-.015
    Ive had mine clear on the old piece of paper method, and still hit one another from flex when ocean riding.
    I put mine at a minimum of .008 for flat water, more for rough water.
    Piece of paper is in the .002-.003 area.
    Ross

Good idea....

I see leos spacer in the pic, looks nice and seamless. (Also put a clamp on that JW tubing coming off the pump!)

Yes i just put Leos wedge on my 1300 also. Havent ridden it yet. That is what the picture is from. It fits great but will require some blending on the bottom side to match the pump and nozzle perfectly, especially if you run a high plate angle. Making a little notch on the plate for the lower pump bolts to clear is necessary also when installing the wedge. See picture..
    Using an angle grinder with the 2 inch oatmeal cookies (roloc discs) works great.

i always wondered is there were specs on the plate to pump clearance thanks for clearing that up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Yes i just put Leos wedge on my 1300 also. Havent ridden it yet. That is what the picture is from. It fits great but will require some blending on the bottom side to match the pump and nozzle perfectly, especially if you run a high plate angle. Making a little notch on the plate for the lower pump bolts to clear is necessary also when installing the wedge. See picture..
    Using an angle grinder with the 2 inch oatmeal cookies (roloc discs) works great.
    How much of the wedge was left to get the same plate angle?? My problem when trying to get the POS SD wedges in there and simular plate angle was the lack of material. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    How much of the wedge was left to get the same plate angle?? My problem when trying to get the POS SD wedges in there and simular plate angle was the lack of material. Just curious.
    Same plate angle is easy to obtain Duke. Leos wedge is machined on the bottom to clear Jims plate but since every pump and nozzle is ground down just a little different all thats necessary is just a little touch up with a roloc disc on a grinder to match your combo.
    Maybe i had to cut off .020-.040 to blend in the wedge with my pump and nozzle.
    Still plenty of material left on wedge after all trimming is done..

Thread Information