Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ok...Step-By-Step Timing MOD

Ok...here are numerous thread here and other places about the timing MOD. SKip's site has pictures of the engine OUT. However for the noob, what are the exact step by step / how-to's to accomplish this, with the engine still INSIDE the hull? Yes remove the 4x8mm cover bolts, yes stuff a rag in the bottom of the hull and in the open crankcase area, hold the crank by using a wrench on the back of the engine (but where?), remove the rotor with a 14mm and dont drop the washer, put the new rotor back on (any specific alignment or just put it on), retighen etc etc

drain oil vs raising trailer?
    new seal vs greasing old?
    once modded does the rotor simple just slip back on and bolt in vs using a mirror to check correct alignment?
    will a torque wrench fir inside or do you just have to hand tighten?

Everyone states 30 min max, but precautions to take, etc etc.

Step one take seat off, step two use a 10mm socket remove timing cover, four bolts, place cover to the side. Step three remove the four nuts from the rear cover/grab bar so to gain access to the drive coupler . There are two flat spots on the drive shaft ,place a cresent wrench on drive shaft to hold in place. Step four while holding the drive shaft take a 14mm box end wrench (its been a while since I did it, but I believe its a 14mm)to the time gear retaining nut and remove. Replace with modded timing gear or trim your own gear with the dremel and the tungsten bit Skip says and measure with inside calipers to gain 1 mm bigger opening. When replacing the gear make sure you hold as Skip says torwards the reverse lever. replace cover and do a driveway check. IT REALLY IS AN EASY MOD.
    Last edited by BillyR-12X; 05-21-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: more info

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyR-12X View Post
    1stly raise front of ski with jocky wheel
    Step one take seat off,
    step two use a 10mm it's a 8mm actually socket remove timing cover, four bolts, place cover to the side.
    Step three remove the four nuts from the rear cover/grab bar so to gain access to the drive coupler . There are two flat spots on the drive shaft ,place a cresent wrench on drive shaft to hold in place.
    Step four while holding the drive shaft take a 14mm box end wrench (its been a while since I did it, but I believe its a 14mm)to the time gear retaining nut BOLT and remove.Before fully removing BOLT ensure washer is at the head of bolt and not stuck to rotor, waiting to fall off Now with the dremel and the tungsten bit Skip says and measure with inside calipers to gain 1 mm bigger opening.the hole is going to be slotted on the LHside as per previously shown When replacing the gear make sure you hold as Skip says torwards the reverse lever.that would mean rotate modded rotor closkwise, before replacing cover ensure all surfaces are clean and dry, and ensure your Oring is still correctly in the front cover,
    replace cover and do a driveway check. IT REALLY IS AN EASY MOD.
    just some extra bits
    the rotor only goes on 1 way due to its design

Waz

+1
    when you have done this mod. we will remember you as the last to do so and we will all give you a big hooah and you will be hooahing all the way down the ozarks

+1
    Since you already have the wheel slotted, this will take you no more than 30 minutes. Just don't drop the washer down in the oil pan like one of our Aussie freinds did

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Since you already have the wheel slotted, this will take you no more than 30 minutes. Just don't drop the washer down in the oil pan like one of our Aussie freinds did
    ah yes but we did get a step by step motor removal instructional and the owner took the opportunity to install '08 breather system, check nuts, bolts, engine mounts, hoses, s/c, just loved the experience (NOT).

+1
    I just bought a $5 file set from Home Depot to grind mine. I didn't need to put anything on the drive line, just put the socket on and popped it loose.

well i thought i had a modded rotor....rudy due to liabilities only sent a rotot with etchings on it where TO dremel.....however i do not have access to a dremel or an inside caliper........nor do i have the time....as i am working 14 days straight b4 my vacation....so i have two rotors sitting here to mod (anyone local care to do a mod and ill pay your for it???)

when you rotate it clockwise is it a guesstamate rotate or will you feel it go in place how will i know i rotated it correctly and not too little or too much??

sorry if i sound dumb but this is all new to me.......

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Just an FYI to all, this mod and calculations were all thanks to a good member none other than JWilson and likely with some bounce off from some Australian brothers. Credit is due where it belongs. Thanks guys!!!

Also, there is a tiny little company out here on the west coast that was supposed to produce these wheels so no grinding was needed - and were to be a resonable price. Jet Connection is the name of the company. I took the reins and waited for along time and stopped waiting. Maybe someone has some info on this so any joe blow could reap the bennies.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooah_Killer View Post
    well i thought i had a modded rotor....rudy due to liabilities only sent a rotot with etchings on it where TO dremel.....however i do not have access to a dremel or an inside caliper........nor do i have the time....as i am working 14 days straight b4 my vacation....so i have two rotors sitting here to mod (anyone local care to do a mod and ill pay your for it???)

when you rotate it clockwise is it a guesstamate rotate or will you feel it go in place how will i know i rotated it correctly and not too little or too much??

sorry if i sound dumb but this is all new to me.......
    use a standard round file as some have.
    if you have a wheel in your hand the opening looks like a key hole the centre is obviously the bolt hole the slot fits over a locating pin (which by the way is only slipped into the end of the crank shaft retained by the washer) standard timing the pin to wheel would be a neat fit. by fileing out the left side of the slot 1mm = 6deg. when you re-install you are turning the wheel clockwise to its new position against the new edge you have filed. does this sound clear you really need to pull it apart and you will see how obvious it is you can also use a mirror (instructions on team moto site are spot on) hope this helps some more.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information