Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hitch Extension

+1

Hitch Extension

Has anyone ever used like a 12" hitch extension?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-Hi...Q5fAccessories

There is a link to what Im talking about. I got the car about as far as I can get it into the water and because of the water level right now I cant get the skis to float on the trailer. I was thinking this would push it in 12" more.
    They cut back on the towing cap about 1/3 but Im only pulling a double trailer. Not like a bobcat trailer or anything.

don't have any idea of what your launch site looks like but my ramp is flat in the part used when water level is low, I just let down the dolly wheel on the tongue of the trailer and roll it on out to where the water is deep enough. not very hard to reconnect my single, your double might need a come-along to pull up to the hitch.

+1
    Its just while the water is high and we are on the cement ramp. When the water is at its normal height there is probably 15 ft of gravel past the ramp were the car sits then the trailer is in the deeper part of the river so no probs.

If I disconnect and reconnect people will be complaining. Its gets pretty busy there. I mean I can get them off the trailer is just takes a little wiggling them around.

what is your tow vehicle , if set up correctly they work ok for light loads , just be sure to get one made from solid bar stock like the one in the link also be aware that it may be more prone to dragging the jack or jack handle

+1
    Im using a 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7HO V8. Overland version. Its rated 6500lbs and the trailer is about 2100. So cutting down my capacity by 30% isnt going to be a problem. Im still way on the safe side.

make a 3ft. extension and swap them in the parking lot of the ramp, a lot of trouble but that should do it. all you need is some 2" box tubing and drill some holes.
    just a thought...

+1
    That would work...hum...

you could do that but I would not tow it down the road with one made from tubing , the decrease they are talking about should just be tongue weight because of the leverage that is put on the receiver , you have a class 3 receiver right ? if you are concerned you could tie the hitch into the vehicle better on the tube that runs from left to right (if the makes sense ) also welding the hitch on helps , most of them only have grade 5 bolts in them , is it a double or single trailer ? how much tongue weight ? and what is the tongue weight rating for the jeep ?
    hope that helps some , do you have a pic of the trailer ? I have another idea on how to do this .

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Extend a hitch

You could consider extending the trailer tongue, like this retractable EXTEND A HITCH

Doesn't add stress to the hitch receiver like an extended ball mount drawbar.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
    you could do that but I would not tow it down the road with one made from tubing , the decrease they are talking about should just be tongue weight because of the leverage that is put on the receiver , you have a class 3 receiver right ? if you are concerned you could tie the hitch into the vehicle better on the tube that runs from left to right (if the makes sense ) also welding the hitch on helps , most of them only have grade 5 bolts in them , is it a double or single trailer ? how much tongue weight ? and what is the tongue weight rating for the jeep ?
    hope that helps some , do you have a pic of the trailer ? I have another idea on how to do this .
    I only need a little extra and its only cause the water is high right now. I dont want to spend tons of money on that big bolt on extension even though it is pretty neat. The 12" one I was looking at should be fine.

I dont know what class it is. Its from the factory rated at 6500 and 650 tongue. The trailer is a triton double with (2) 2 seaters. Weighs 2100. ABout 250-300 on the tongue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information