Hit A Freaking Rock

My second time out with the Ultra and the lake is 30' low and I hit a freaking rock. I was going very slow almost at idle but it scratched up the hull to were you can see the white fiberglass, it didn't cut all the way through were water is leaking in, but it took off all the paint for about 3" and a 1/4 inch wide. Is this something I need to get fixed, will it start weakening the hull or is it just cosmetic?

Thanks

GET it fixed as it might Delaminate soon.
    Go to a fibreglass boat repair shop.
    Or Google JetSki repairs.

You can get a gelocoat repair kit from boaters world that will fix it. Do not leave it. It could delaminate and start coming off in sheets.

+1
    Bummer. I've worried about this since I bought mine.
    Just hanging around shore there are a bunch of rocks. Wouldn't take much to hit one

Hopefully it will be a simple repair.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by z28pwr View Post
    My second time out with the Ultra and the lake is 30' low and I hit a freaking rock. I was going very slow almost at idle but it scratched up the hull to were you can see the white fiberglass, it didn't cut all the way through were water is leaking in, but it took off all the paint for about 3" and a 1/4 inch wide. Is this something I need to get fixed, will it start weakening the hull or is it just cosmetic?

Thanks
    Osmosis is what will happen to the fibreglass if its not repaired soon
    How to tell if you got osmosis is if you stick your nose up to the tear and if it smells like bad wine or rotten grapes then it is cancer of the glass and needs to be cut out not filled.
    I wouldnt panic because if you repair right away you can avoid it.

+1
    For all riders beware of osmosis as its real and if you get it a lot of people just fill it with gelcoat which only covers it up but it still keeps eating under the gelcoat where you cant see.

Quote Originally Posted by z28pwr View Post

Thanks
    If your located in Phx, AZ I have the hook up for you. It will cost about $200.00 or so.

Where the river meets the sea... Rogue Worx's Avatar
    I hit just about everything there was to hit last season... One time at about 40 mph while deflecting around a fly fisherman... Hit hard,got air but rode it out... Ended up grinding out all the smashed glass and pealing the lose stuff back... Used martec to fill then relamed and sanded to OEM shape... As for my self I should have put on a layer of kevlar cuz I will hit something again, just the nature of where AND how I ride...

What your referring to is osmatic blistering, rare on boats that are not kept in the water for long periods of time. The bigger fear would be delamination, one little crack is all it takes for the water to get under it and rip off a large section. Your damage is very common and easy to repair.

+1

Smile

Dude,
    i dont know much about this type of repair.. i do know a buddy of mine needs to do the same thing.. best of luck and get it repaied ASAFP!! $200? is cheap enough.. i thought it might be more..
    again best of luck.

Thread Information