Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

poorly maintained 4tec

I recently found out about a 2003 GTX 4tec (non TC) with 110 hours that just hit the market mid week. Its in decent condition, some sun damage and slight corrosion on the motor mounts and a tiny bit on the lower end of the crank case.

i asked the guy if he had flushed and sprayed it down after every ride (he lives on salt water) and he said "son, you aint gonna find one that has been flushed every single time".

I am kinda weary of what un-fixable damage this ski might have. I defitenly would not be looking at it if it wasant priced at 3,000

any input would be great, thanks

+1
    RUN and save yer money unless you know this person well.

well hes probably right i doubt u salt water guys flush and spray every single time you go for a ride. I know I probably wouldnt unless I didnt work and had all the itme in the world. im glas i ride freshwater . if its not closed loop cooling i wouldbe wary about it esp for $3000 seems steep for an o3 saltwater doo doesnt it?

steep?

hell no. not in my aera. this is the first working seadoo 4tec i have seen for sale for under 4 grand

i am going to do a through test run and compression check on saturday and see how it goes.

the engine plastic just pops off to get to the top of the heads, right?

Quote Originally Posted by chemkexx View Post
    the engine plastic just pops off to get to the top of the heads, right?
    there are 2 clips that have to be released before it comes off. sometimes it may come off without releasing them but you run a risk of breaking them.

I flush mine and thoroughly wash and clean it after EVERY saltwater ride. The only time I wont flush it is when Im in freshwater and Im going out the next day too. If im not going out the next day it gets the same treatment as if I was in saltwater.

Dave

Think of the price for a 4tec engine core

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    Think of the price for a 4tec engine core
    more than half the price of this ski, i know. i was counting on the engine being clean on the inside because of closed loop cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by DSmith1178 View Post
    I flush mine and thoroughly wash and clean it after EVERY saltwater ride. The only time I wont flush it is when Im in freshwater and Im going out the next day too. If im not going out the next day it gets the same treatment as if I was in saltwater.

Dave
    i know, and i would do the same. the seller just has no clue about proper maintenance.

PS: what compression numbers should i look for?

Thanks!

Don't buy it. Don't just run, run far and fast. And that guy's a moron. I ride the salt and flush and wash it after every run. I flush until I can't taste the salt coming out of the machine. I cup my hand to catch some water pumping out and still flush a couple minutes more after I can't taste the salt. I dump a 5 gallon homer bucket of soapy water in the engine bay and rinse it down and then lift the trailer by the tongue to drain it. And also wash it like a car.

i ride in the bay and ocean a fair amount i have a 2007 gtx limited with 96 hours on it and it is flushed and washed after every outing plus i use salt-away to flush and wash the ski after every outing -- and in response to canukrxtx i work 60+ hours a week and still find time to flush wash and rinse my ski after every outing out in the salt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information