Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Riva intercooler vs. RR Intercooler

Ok guys out there are getting some good #'s with the Riva Stage II Kit. The big question is Is the Riva IC better than the RR IC? or is most of the speeds coming from the new Solas impeller. From the pictures the Riva IC looks bigger, Is that why you have to relocate the exhuast ? ? ? ?

some one try it use both coolers I cant make up my mind witch one to buy

i can let u know that 2 people in the philly area i know well both preffer the riva IC over the RR ic

+1
    It's hard to say which is better.

The RR intercooler has a bigger coil, but the Riva/Vortech unit has larger 2 3/4" inlet and outlets. I would have to back to back test them on my ski before i said one was better than the other.

I think a lot of the magic in the Riva Stage II kit may be in that newly designed Solas 15/20 they are using. I may try back to back testing that new Solas in the near future.

+1
    I will have both set ups in the near future. I will let you guys know. Of course, I have never gotten my RR stage I running right, but I have a friend who has it running well. So I will compare the Riva stuff I'm getting to his RR kit.

I was about to ask the same question as I'm about to dive in and purchase an intercooler. The thing that's different about the 2 kits is that they make the speeds at different RPM's. RR's intercooler gets you the speed at a higher RPM than Riva's. This gets me thinking about acceleration, which accelerates to it's top speed quicker? I'd think that the RR kit accelerates harder since you don't have to use a tall impeller.

One more thing to consider is the difference in the exhaust locations. With riva, you'd have to use their rear exhaust, which eliminates the opas (I have mine on to help in CC racing), while with RR you just need the power pipe exiting to the stock location.

John

+1
    John, the only reason they make power at different RPM's is because most people that go with the Rotax Racing stuff usually get the ECU which raises the RPM's to 8500. You don't have to run the ECU with the Rotax Racing intercooler. That makes it more comparable to Riva's kit.

+1
    Like Franko was saying, if y'all can hold on a couple of weeks we are going to a side by side comparison of the two kits on our RXPs. That should answer a lot of questions that are floating around.

I have tested both of them. Side by side. The Riva outperformed the Rotax Racing. With the 15/20 prop on both the Riva produced 100 -150 rpm's more while giving me a higher top speed of 4-5 mph. I could only push 68 with the RR and 73 with the RIVA. Humidity very high on both. Hopw this helps.

+1
    That helps lots Rock!
    I'd still love to test one on my setup. Maybe i can talk Dave Bamdas into sending one to me for testing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information