Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Running on one cylinder??!?!

Hi guys,

First of this is going to be a big post. If you want to skip straight to the issue go down.

Ok so today was the first time out on the river again since I replaced all the stock fuel lines, cleaned out the carbies, compression tested. ditched the aftermarket inline fuel filter, cleaned the rave valves and got my spedo working. and BOY DID IT RUN SWEET! Managed to get it up to 60 MPH according to stock spedo with me (85 kgs) and a mate (90kgs) on it! So im very happy to get these sort of numbers with two people.

Anyway to the issue:
    All was sweet then i desided to just throw it around very harshley by my self with my mate on the shore. All was going well then after some serious chop and air time realised it would only rev to 4,500rpm.

Drove it for a min playing with throttle to see what was happening before taking it to the dock. Popped the hood and realised one of the spark plug leads had come of the plug closesest to the front of the ski. I put it back on and went again but it still wouldnt rev over 4,500rpm and was very shakey on idle.

Decided to call it a day and pulled it out and started it on the trailer for a few secs to blow last bits of water out and it revved to 7000 easy (but theirs no load so could prob do it on one cylinder with no load on the pump).

Got it home and pulled the plugs the one the lead didnt come of was nice light brown other was black as shit. Sprayed them both with carby cleaner and held them on the head to check for spark. Got BOLTED so hard in each lead so yes we have spark. Connect it up to the hose and it idled at 3,000rpm sweet as.

Is their anyway to tell if its running on both cylinders without taking it out again and seeing if it will go over 4,500rpm? Could this have caused any damage? Do you think it would have just fouled the plug as it would have still been putting fuel into the cylinder when the lead wasnt connected? It was a little while before i started it on the trailer when i pulled it out so do you think it may have just flooded that front cylinder?

Cheers,

Chris

PS sorry for massive thread! But im a little worried :S

+1
    There is no way to replicate a load on the engine short of putting it in the water.

That said, some plugs just will not hold the boots on, even with new boots. I would pop in a new set of plugs and take a zip tie to hold that boot onto the plug and try her out.

It is not good for the plug wires to be disconnected from a ground while it is trying to run but if it was a short time it should be ok.

Yeah the small nipple on the end of the plug (no idea what this is called) was also fairly loose...

So what am i doing new plugs zip tied boots onto plugs and drive an hour to the river again and see how it goes? Can i check if its running on one cylinder by running it on the tap and touching the tops of them to check for heat variances?

+1
    One will be hotter than the other, true, if one is not firing, but while free spinning it may fire where it would not under a load.

Know anyone with a pool?

I do have a few mates with pools... how heavy would the sucker be to lift of the trailer and drop into the pool lol?

Next door neighbours also have a pool and HOT daughters... theyve busted me in their doing front flips of our garden shed into their pool in my unides in a drunken state to... :P

+1
    Aussies gone wild

About four or five guys could lift one and drop it into a pool. Getting it out might be a bit of a challenge.

Not that I encourage such shenanigans. No sir, not me...

You could pull off the plug wires one at a time while idleing and see if it makes a difference. If it ran with a plug wire off for a few minutes it would dirty the plug and make it wet. Next time take some spares to the water and dont leave till you have tried all possible fixes and figured out the problem. You going to run 2 strokes have some extra plugs

Yeah no joke, it was so stupid not having tools ect...

Think from now ill take sockets and ring spanners in the car as well as make a kit to keep on the ski with spark plug puller, small can of WD40, 10mm socket adjustable spanner... Any other ideas?

think i might also buy a distress beacon

Ok so got out on water today for the first time sicne this issue and it was all running sweet

What I did was spray the plugs with carby cleaner
    Squeze the leads a bit to ensure a tighter fit
    tightened the electrodes on the end of each plug
    Zip tied the leads onto the plugs

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    You could pull off the plug wires one at a time while idleing and see if it makes a difference. If it ran with a plug wire off for a few minutes it would dirty the plug and make it wet. Next time take some spares to the water and dont leave till you have tried all possible fixes and figured out the problem. You going to run 2 strokes have some extra plugs
    i've been kinda following this thread because I'm have a similar issue with a 96 xp. Long story short, mag spark plug smells of exhaust, but the pto plug smells of raw gas. When at idle, if i pull the plug cap off on the pto cylinder the engine continues to run. But, if i pull the plug cap off the mag spark plug the engine dies. I did trim back the wire a bit but no change. If i ground both plugs to the head, they do have spark. And the pto cylinder does get warm. It's almost like it's not getting complete combustion. What gives? Any ideas would be great. thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information