Open vs. Closed loop

I'm sure this has been asked before numerous times, but i have tried searching and can't find it. Or you can post a link so i can read.

Question is... What is the exact difference between and closed loop cooling and open loop cooling system, and what steps does it take to convert.

Thanks guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by squishd View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked before numerous times, but i have tried searching and can't find it. Or you can post a link so i can read.

Question is... What is the exact difference between and closed loop cooling and open loop cooling system, and what steps does it take to convert.

Thanks guys

Welcome to GH. Squishd

The differance between the two is open loop cooling utilizes the lake/river water you are riding in to cool the motor.You remove the thermostat,waterpump and have to replace with a blockoff plate available at 4-techperformance.com..Then you have to add a water routing system to supply the water to the IC,Engine,Oil cooler and exhaust.(directions come with the blockoff plate)After this is all remove and the new system installed you need to go out and ride to get your engine temps set..Somewere between 160 and 200 degrees is the temps to shoot for..
    With the open loop system you now can change rideplates for better performance and handling...With the closed loop sytem you use the Anti-freeze that comes in the ski to cool the engine via the thermostat/rideplate.There is a rideplate avalable for the closed loop but the gains are not as much as the open loops plate..The open loop can be more tempermental especialy if you ride were the temps change..You will have to moniter and adjust your flow to maintain temps were as a closed loop doesnt..the thermostat controls the engine temp.When using the open loop yoou have to be careful to watch your temps cause you could overheat an engine real quick if your not paying attention..For a novice user i would not recommend going open loop...Also i would not recommend an open loop setup for salt water riding either...

+1
    welcome to the forum

open loop means that the water you are riding in is circulated thru your motor to cool it , with closed loop its like a car you have a mix of water (some people use different mixes ) and antifreeze to cool the motor , seadoos use the ride plate like a radiator to transfer the heat out of the engine coolant as far as the mod to open loop I really haven't looked into it , I ride in salt water and see the closed loop as a very good idea

it took 30 min to get the post up , snow man had already given you a great answer by the time it went thru , sorry guys

Thanks alot guys! Im only running stage 1 with exhaust right now. Planning on a fizzle ic then a x changer, so it's probably not worth while now but maybe in the future!
    Devin

Nah, avoid it unless water is at a constant temp, and be sure nothing will block the flow of incomming water either..!!. One overheat can have un-told implications... for instance the one people often miss is the bearings in the charger get overloaded as they run hotter than normal, then once play starts to set-in, the bearings are doomed for a shorter life, and outside operating tollerances etc..

Here we get seagrass regularly jammed in the intake area, (and anyother smeg too like plastic bags, ciggy wrappers, candy wrappers..etc, etc)...but if you get any blockage in the open loop feed whatsoever, you may find out too late..!!

Another point to consider is that the coolant if kept closed will aid the ECU in mixture changes etc, as it has a relatively constant operating band to operate in. It cannot compensate quickly enough for rapid inlet water changes from the outside.. for instance a cool "spot" on the water you are riding..., and all change for engine parameters... then when it changes to a diff temperature,,..... all change again..!! See what I mean?

Closed loop helps to give the ECU a chance to compensate for small engine temp changes, it can then cope easier, and fuelling, ignition, knock etc can be managed better.... unless you know your stuff well, I would avoid it.

IMO

Thread Information