+1

Question Need help with a Carb!!!

I have an outboard 90 hp force (Chrysler) i believe its a 95. Well I went to put it in today and it started right up. HOWEVER! It is not running at full speed or idling at full idle. I then noticed gas spurting out of what looks like to overflow holes built into the carb. They are very small and ARE suppose to be there. This only happens on 1 of the 3 carbs.

I am thinking that by sitting all winter (yes it was properly winterized) the carb is stuck closed and no gas is getting to the cylinder to be fired. Instead it is spurting out these two outlets on each side of the carb near the top. (the gas is flowing in but has no place to go but out the over flow holes)

Does this sound legit? I need help so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AT_Viper View Post
    I have an outboard 90 hp force (Chrysler) i believe its a 95. Well I went to put it in today and it started right up. HOWEVER! It is not running at full speed or idling at full idle. I then noticed gas spurting out of what looks like to overflow holes built into the carb. They are very small and ARE suppose to be there. This only happens on 1 of the 3 carbs.

I am thinking that by sitting all winter (yes it was properly winterized) the carb is stuck closed and no gas is getting to the cylinder to be fired. Instead it is spurting out these two outlets on each side of the carb near the top. (the gas is flowing in but has no place to go but out the over flow holes)

Does this sound legit? I need help so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
    weren't force produced by mercury for a time period or am i thinking of mariner....what i would do is take the carb out dissasemble it and clean it out...

+1
    Thats what I was planning. Thanks though. Anyone else have a similar problem with a carb??

+1
    I had it on all day and ran seafoam through it along with carb cleaner and some wrench tapping. It seemed to help a LITTLE bit but not much. I took the carb off now and pulled the needle valve out which had some wear and was indented and worn. So i need a new needle valve that I do know. What i dont know is what else i need to replace? I have never taken a carb apart and dont have a manual. I have the bottom dome off and can see a white plastic ring which i assume is the float. I dont see much else I can take off/apart. Where do I go from here? Everything looks in ok shape. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Worst case scenaro, I had an older 115 merc that had the same problem with one carb turns out it was a broken reed valve! The big problem with that is the reed valves are mounted to the crankshaft!! meaning a full engine tear down!! Hopefully yours is just a stuck float. Keep us posted.

+1
    how do I know its a stuck float? I took it apart now and sprayed EVERYTHING with carb cleaner, inside and out. The float moves up and down fine. The needle valve what wore quite a bit so I know that was part of my problem. Could it have been the whole problem? Let me know and thanks for all your help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AT_Viper View Post
    how do I know its a stuck float? I took it apart now and sprayed EVERYTHING with carb cleaner, inside and out. The float moves up and down fine. The needle valve what wore quite a bit so I know that was part of my problem. Could it have been the whole problem? Let me know and thanks for all your help
    i would fix the needle valve then re-install the carb run it see if the proplem still exisists...then go from there

+1
    Could the needle valve cause all that problem? Either way I will do that and post back after the holiday. Thanks again all who helped.

+1
    Well bad news. I was replacing the float because it was seized up and the metal around the pin holding the float on snapped off. SO i guess now i am looking for a new carb all together.

Thread Information