Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

oil in ride plate

hey guys-
    need help with this one...
    was doing some cleaning while on the trailer and discovered oil all over the top side of the ride plate. none on the shaft or in the intake grate area, none in the impeller area. but beneath the impeller/jet drive area, there's oil everywhere. i wiped most of it out and appears to be a heavier weight gear type oil. any idea what it is and where it is coming from?
    96 slt 780. thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unless someone has put oil into the stator bearing cone, which is not normal for a Polaris jet pump, there is no oil in the jet pump to leak out. Only grease, sealed inside the impeller stub shaft bearings.

My guess is that your exhaust exits into the area above the ride plate, and your engine is running a very rich oil mixture.

Are you running pre-mix oil+gas, or running with the stock oil pump system?

If you are using the oil pump, check that the linkage between the oil pump and the throttle is still connected, and working properly.

If the linkage comes apart, the oil pump is designed to fall back to 100% oil flow rate, which would be about double the normal oil pumping rate at low throttle.

What color are the spark plug tips?

yes, my exhaust does let out in that area. and i am running the stock oil pump. i will check the linkage and spark plug tips tomorrow.

for what it's worth... i had been experiencing sluggish performance... i thought i might have been in limp mode, but i removed the grey wire and found that was not the case. if in fact that linkage has separated, and the oil pump is flowing at 100%, that could also be the cause of the poor performance, right?
    it runs great to about 1/3 throttle then gets all bogged down and sluggish.

+1
    Unless you somehow have an absolute gusher of oil pumping, I don't think the extra oil would cause the level of performance drop you are seeing.

I would start checking other things. In particular, if you have not cleaned the carbs internally, now would be a good time to rebuild them.

Also trim the spark plug wires back about 1/4" at the plug caps, and re-attach. Sometimes the wire ends get worn, and this weakens the spark.

Also check cylinder compression, and work through the other engine checks in the service manual.

well, i might just have a gusher given the amount of oil back there on top of that ride plate. it's the stock plate, with the little grooved square sections, and they were full, about to overflow... and i had only run it on the hose earlier today for a minute or two. i was doing that to see if it would take full throttle after disconnecting the grey wire.
    carbs were rebuilt at the end of 07 season, and 08 season i put maybe 10 hours on the thing.
    what should i be looking for when inspecting the linkage?
    thanks for your help.

+1
    What did this oil look like?
    Milky white, foamy?
    Or liquid, clear oil?

I am wondering if your water box has/had a build-up of oil, and you revving the engine on the trailer pushed it all out the exhaust at once.

Drape a cloth over the jet pump, where the exhaust comes out, start the engine and rev it again. Don't hold it against the RPM limiter, just a strong throttle burst, then let it idle down, then do it again. No need for the garden hose yet, as you won't be running it for more than 10 seconds. Shut the engine off.

See if you get a lot more of the same stuff coming out, a lot less, or very little.

If you get very little oil/stuff out, then hook up the garden hose to the flush connection, start engine, then start water flow. Let it idle for less than a minute or so (to let some water accumulate in the water box), then firmly burp the throttle a couple of times. Shut off the water flow, and rev it once more, then shut it down.

Most of what comes out should just be water, with maybe some black soot from the idling.

Let us know what you find out.

Another possibility is that somehow the crank case has accumulated a lot of oil. Normally, there is only a thin oil film coating all the internal engine parts, with just a dribble of liquid oil in the bottom of the crank case.

If you have a lot more oil than that, it shouldn't be there, and you need to figure out where it came from.

Did you winterize this engine yourself?

i will follow your advice once i get started on it today. as for winterizing... i am in the deep south. all i do is shut off fuel supply and run it till it quits. then completely fill gas tank and add sta-bil. completely fill oil tank. remove batteries and garage them on trailer for the off-season.

the oil is not milky white, foamy. and it is not definitely not clear. it's dark. medium consistency, there are also traces, or a dotted spray if you will, along the inner walls of the body surrounding the pump. inside the engine compartment is clean as a whistle.

i did remove the air cleaner assembly, and it was quite oily in there as well. seemed to be more so than "normal"... so perhaps it is running too rich. i don't really know what to look for when inspecting the linkage between the oil pump and throttle.

+1
    Look to make sure that everything is connected and working smoothly. Pay special attention to the rod outlined in this pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3568C005.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	133232  

update

ok. i followed k447's advice and tested the exhuast area with a clean rag. that is where the oil is coming from, and it is gas/oil mixture. but very little came out. no where near the amount that was back there before when i initially became alarmed.
    thanks crazyA for the diagram, i visually inspected the arm and it is connected and moving along with the throttle.
    i thoroughly rinsed out the ride plate area, and there was ton of this sludgey mess back there. i then ran it again, and rinsed again and hardly any came out. appears to be doing fine now. also seems to be taking full throttle fine now as well.
    could this just have been due to this being the first time to crank this season?
    also, MFD is blinking oil despite showing 1/4 on the gauge and tank appears to be slightly above 1/4 from visual inspection.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sisexton View Post
    ...MFD is blinking oil despite showing 1/4 on the gauge and tank appears to be slightly above 1/4 from visual inspection.
    1/4 remaining in the oil tank is the Low oil warning level. The oil sender only has four levels 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, 1/4.

I think there is also be an 'empty' level, but you should never let the oil level get anywhere near that low. When you are out riding and bouncing around, you don't want the oil to be so low that it can slosh away from the oil feed, and introduce air bubbles into the oil lines.

Put some more oil in there, and the warning should go away.

I would think new spark plugs would be a good idea. Fresh spark plugs at the beginning of the season is a good thing, and yours may be fouled from the oil, or just usage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information