New 08 15F - Lanyard switch issues

Hi,

The ski has about 3 hours. I rode it for about 3 twenty minute rides today. After the third I stopped to chat with some friends. I then tried to start her up and she would turn over and everything would sound right, but it would not start. It sounded like starting an engine without gas. The batter is fine, the connections are fine and there was about 10 gallons of gas. When i turn on the ski there are no warnings and nothing out of the ordinary.

I got a tow to my launch and went to a dealer in the area. After looking at it a bit he basically plugged the lanyard in an then pulled the kill switch out another 1/8 of an inch and the ski started no problem, he then just plugged in the lanyard and it kept running.

I then took it out in the water again, and it worked every time. Its as if the lanyard raises the cutoff switch high enough for the ski to run, but not enough for it to start.

I didnt face this issues the last 2 times i had it on the water.

Its practically new and still very much under warranty. I plan to have it serviced, but with the season starting their are quite backlogged.

Does any one have any ideas or suggestions? Should i be worried that this is a sign of a bigger problem.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePerchik View Post
    Hi,

The ski has about 3 hours. I rode it for about 3 twenty minute rides today. After the third I stopped to chat with some friends. I then tried to start her up and she would turn over and everything would sound right, but it would not start. It sounded like starting an engine without gas. The batter is fine, the connections are fine and there was about 10 gallons of gas. When i turn on the ski there are no warnings and nothing out of the ordinary.

I got a tow to my launch and went to a dealer in the area. After looking at it a bit he basically plugged the lanyard in an then pulled the kill switch out another 1/8 of an inch and the ski started no problem, he then just plugged in the lanyard and it kept running.

I then took it out in the water again, and it worked every time. Its as if the lanyard raises the cutoff switch high enough for the ski to run, but not enough for it to start.

I didnt face this issues the last 2 times i had it on the water.

Its practically new and still very much under warranty. I plan to have it serviced, but with the season starting their are quite backlogged.

Does any one have any ideas or suggestions? Should i be worried that this is a sign of a bigger problem.

Thanks.

The same thing happened to me on my very first run. It never happened again. I couldn't get her to come to life but she woud crank just fine. After a while stuck out in the river, I flipped the reverse bucket lever, tried again and she fired right up. Probably just a coincedence as nothing ties into the bucket. I'd say run it and if it happens again you know where to start fiddling. Chances are it may never repeat itself...Good Luck!

+1
    I owned 2 and a friend had another and for some reason they just decide to crank without starting. It will start after a while but it does sound like it is not getting gas. The pulling the switch out further seems like a good idea but I have never tried it. Usually I will just wait a few seconds and try again. I will continue to try not running the starter for more than a few seconds at a time. With my friends I acually tried choking it by putting my hand over the intake box. It worked but it might have started anyway. I have never found anything that causes it in 5 years so I don't think it is anything but maybe a simple glitch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mirror View Post
    I owned 2 and a friend had another and for some reason they just decide to crank without starting. It will start after a while but it does sound like it is not getting gas. The pulling the switch out further seems like a good idea but I have never tried it. Usually I will just wait a few seconds and try again. I will continue to try not running the starter for more than a few seconds at a time. With my friends I acually tried choking it by putting my hand over the intake box. It worked but it might have started anyway. I have never found anything that causes it in 5 years so I don't think it is anything but maybe a simple glitch.
    Did you shut it off and then try to restart it ?? my 07 has done that a few times .. The Dealer has never found anything wrong, just thinking it could be vapor lock or something like that , maybe it hasn't had time to recycle the computer ... Usually I can pull the lanyard and put it back in and it fires right up and runs perfect.

I tried turning the ski on and off. Taking it into and out of slow mode. I tried to pull the lanyard in and out a few times. The problem is consistent. It will only crank with the lanyard in but will not start. I need to lift the red button a bit further than the lanyard clip keeps it up and press the start button at the same time for the jetski to start. Once it starts i can release the red button to go back down and rest on the lanyard clip and the jetski continues to run. Once i pull hte lanyard out the jetski shuts off as its supposed to.

Is this just a buggy button or can it be something else?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerchik View Post
    I tried turning the ski on and off. Taking it into and out of slow mode. I tried to pull the lanyard in and out a few times. The problem is consistent. It will only crank with the lanyard in but will not start. I need to lift the red button a bit further than the lanyard clip keeps it up and press the start button at the same time for the jetski to start. Once it starts i can release the red button to go back down and rest on the lanyard clip and the jetski continues to run. Once i pull hte lanyard out the jetski shuts off as its supposed to.

Is this just a buggy button or can it be something else?
    The Perchik that sounds like you have a problem with the switch itself... I would take it in and have them pull it down and see if its a bad connection , OR just by chance the clip itself isn't allowing the switch to come out far enough to make the connection. It going to be one of the 2... good luck bro .. it sounds like something simple..

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by STX-15FER View Post
    The Perchik that sounds like you have a problem with the switch itself... I would take it in and have them pull it down and see if its a bad connection , OR just by chance the clip itself isn't allowing the switch to come out far enough to make the connection. It going to be one of the 2... good luck bro .. it sounds like something simple..
    +1

I have 18 hrs on my ski and the same thing just happened to me. Rode it all weekend and started to take it for one last ride and it wouldn't start. Did everything everyone else did and nothing. Attempted to start it entire time being towed back to the dock. When I trailered it drove it less than a mile to camp site and it fired right up. Took it out the next day and it's working fine. This is really frustrating because I don't want to get stuck out in the middle of the lake and have it not start. It's under warranty but don't really want to take it to the dealer and be without it for who knows how long. Please post if you figure out the problem. Sound like enough people have this issue that it should be a sticky.

It seems that its an issue with the spring loaded mechanism on the shutoff button. I took it to the dealer this past weekend. I took it out the garage and verified the same problem...twice. It woudl crank, but not start. But if i manually lifted the button a bit more it would start.

I get to the dealer, and as you would expect, it just started right up every time. They ordered me a new switch unit and I hope to have it swapped this weekend.

Thread Information