Just want to ride.
    +1

New 05 pump/bearings too tight?

Need some guidance -

I bought a complete 05 pump setup including shaft, bearings, and new dynafly, and had my local dealer assemble all of it, so I wouldn't screw up the bearings. I got it back today, and it barely turns by hand! It's so much harder to turn than the old setup, that I'm wondering if there's something wrong? The tech at the dealer said it was correct, but I'm not so sure.

There's a small gap between the hub of the impeller and the pump; so that doesn't look like the culprit - is this common for new bearings, etc? Or is something out of whack, and I'll need to adjust/correct before I install it?

Thanks in advance!

Should be ok. When new bearings are installed they do actaully need some break in. Just had Skat trak do mine and came back the same way hard to turn freely..

+1
    Careful now!

It should pretty much match your old setup. It's not going to spin freely, but the tension should MATCH your old pump if the old pump was in good working order. I'd say if it's not the prop, hitting the hub, then the nut has pulled the shaft down too far and something is binding.

Can you take the prop off and turn the shaft by hand?

Just want to ride.
    +1
    Well it definitely doesn't match the old setup; the shaft spins smoothly and easily on my old pump. It doesn't feel like binding how I'm thinking of binding (turn easier then harder then easier then harder throughout a revolution of the shaft), but it's got much more resistance to it. I can turn the shaft with my hand on the new setup, but again, just much 'tighter' than the old.

The nut under the pump cone - if it's overtightened, could that be my problem? I'm wondering if it's torqued to spec. I can check it tomorrow?

Thanks for the input!

Just had this issue as well when doing my pump. Had to play with it several times, before it felt right to me. My d/s was in .020 too much causing some drag. torque to 53 on the nut.

+1
    take a brass hammer and wack the nut that holds on the prop...i did this and it smoothed out the tightness...dont use steel hammer , you probably just got it pressed to tight..

hope they pressed it together correctly.......there is a correct way to press it together and a not so correct way if the installer doesnt have the correct press....

everytime i have done a pump, it spins freely. if there is any binding something is not correct. sure you can run it like that....BUT, the wear will be increased several fold.

the install should follow exactly as the yamaha manual states.

Thread Information