Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

rr wheel to s3 wheel and housing

will i see a performance gain going from the rr wheel to s3? or boost increase?

Banned User
    +1
    Boost and acceleration...The S3 pushed a lot more air in the midrange...

so i will be able to tell a difference?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbubba1989 View Post
    so i will be able to tell a difference?

Um.....YEA

just put the s3 on yesterday and ran 75.4 mph on the limiter speeds before were 75.0-75.2 i guess now i just need a new prop should i do 15/20r or 15/22r? i have a 14/19r now and i plan on putting xs intercooler on to

+1
    You can get the reduction nozzle or have your prop repitched by Erik at Speedfreeks. Either one will bring you a MPH or two. I ran 77 when I had the stage 3

Quote Originally Posted by bigbubba1989 View Post
    just put the s3 on yesterday and ran 75.4 mph on the limiter speeds before were 75.0-75.2 i guess now i just need a new prop should i do 15/20r or 15/22r? i have a 14/19r now and i plan on putting xs intercooler on to
    Get the 15/20R and pick up a 81mm venturi to go with it and pitch for 8100 RPM. With the XS that should get you to 77-78mph

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    Get the 15/20R and pick up a 81mm venturi to go with it and pitch for 8100 RPM. With the XS that should get you to 77-78mph
    Exactly, what Rex said ... and you are already running 42lb injectors right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Exactly, what Rex said ... and you are already running 42lb injectors right?
    I still dont know what I'm doing wrong. Highest I could see all last weekend with the setup in my signature was 75.3mph @ 8100 RPM. Lake temp was 57*F, air temps just above 70*F and density altitude of 2,300ft. Granted I am using the stock venturi, but I don't see how I would benefit from using an 81mm venturi when my RPMs are right at 8100. Ski pulls like a raped ape though.

+1
    Rex, those are decent numbers, but yes, you should be able to see 77 -78 mph I think. Only things I can think of are a small boost leak - use lots of soapy water, I found leaks at BOV, BOV blockoff (later welded the damn thing shut), SC halves (no kidding, tightened bolts a little, fixed it), IC blockoff plug (pulled out and re-did it), AND at the IC connections (many times, took off, cleaned, re-installed, used better clamps, etc). If all the testing all soaked with soapy water (ON the water at WOT right after soaking the motor with soapy water) does not show foamy bubbles anywhere, then I would go under the ski.

Under the ski, many of us have done a good bit of sanding on the ride plate (block sand front to rear, get it to 400 grit smooth on all planing surfaces), make sure the intake grate fits correctly and is fully recessed into the hull and is verrrry close to flush with the ride plate (its ok if it sits a tiny bit below the level of the ride plate).

I have two modded Riva grates, modded R&D grate and modded stock grate ... have only run the Rivas last year, but hope to do some testing with the R&D and stock grates sometime this year. What I did notice was that the R&D vertical bars actually hit the tunnel of the ski, just behind the front mounting pad. I had to rather significantly grind the grate to get it to fit the way I wanted it, but that was partly due to running the R&D girdle, Erik's shoe protector and my thru-bolted shoe to ride plate setup. I test fit, then did some grinding MANY times to get it to fit right ... but it is worth doing for speed as well as strenght/relieving stress at front or rear of grate when mounted.

Anyway, since everything else sounds good, concentrate on boost leaks and bottom ... look things over under the hull with a very stong light and so some sanding, grinding, matching, etc.
    Last edited by Vern; 05-29-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: fixed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information